Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Where, oh where, can that Orchard Grass be?

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
For the last year or so I have had pretty upsetting allergies in my own home. I would wake up with a stuffy nose, red and puffy eyes, and a heavy chest. After joining this site, I saw that there were a lot of people saying their Timothy Hay was aggravating their allergies. I've always had problems with fresh cut grass/hay [like after mowing the lawn, etc] so I figured I would try to switch.

This last month has been WONDERFUL. The Orchard Grass has not given me nearly as many problems as the Timothy Hay was. [The few symptoms I still have can most likely be fixed with just taking a pill or something.]

The only problem is that buying littler 2 lb bags or so is EXPENSIVE. I have started researching to find a local Orchard Grass stock that sells by the bale or save money but have come up with nothing. Maybe I'm just bad at googling or maybe there isn't any??
Does anyone here know of somewhere when I can find a hay/grass easier on my allergies than Timothy Hay while still being able to buy by the bale at a lower price?
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Area.

If you can't find a farm, ask them at the store where they sell bagged hay if they can order you a 25 or 50 lb box of Oxbow Orchard Grass. It ends up being a lot less than buying the bags although it was be a lot cheaper to buy a bale from a farm. I would imagine that there would be a lot of sources for local hay since you probably have Amish communities near you that have horses and cows. Sweet Meadow might be cheaper for you since I think they are out East.

Ditto on Sweet Meadow Farm in MA. I am in VT and they are pretty reasonable.

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Orchard Grass saved my allergies also! I spend 6 dollars on the Oxbow bag from Petsmart.

Orchard Grass saved my allergies also! I spend 6 dollars on the Oxbow bag from Petsmart.

It costs $55 for 50 lbs of Oxbow Orchard Grass, excluding tax with no extra shipping charges when it's delivered to the store. I can't order 25 lbs of orchard grass at my store but you can order 25 lb boxes of timothy hay for some reason.

Yea, I don't order mine. I just pick it up from the petstore. One bag lasts my pig two weeks.

FOUND IT!!! The guy I buy my hay bales from makes hay for a living, and he delivers it all over the US. He only makes grass hay, and I just texted him to see what stock he has, and he says he has orchard grass bales as well as timothy. I Google mapped the distance and it's only 90 minutes or so from you (from Pittsburgh to Sherrodsville, OH). All of his bales are only $5. I got two cuttings, 2nd cutting bale was 39# and the 3rd cutting was 25#. All fresh, little debris, and my boys go nuts for it. If you're interested I can pm you with his number and the address of his barn. Let me know :)

While he does deliver, unless you want a truckload of bales I figured it's not worth his time to drive out there just to bring you one (at least I felt that way for me, and I live in Cleveland, OH which is a bit farther than Pittsburgh) so I offered to go pick it up when I bought mine. He only charges a dollar more per bale for delivery, and I wanted to keep him happy so I got it myself, and got to pick them out myself that way too, which was great! Just FYI.

Hm. Maybe I'll find a store that sells oxbow and see if they're able to order any. That's still quite a bit of money though. How long does hay/ grass stay fresh like that?

@aislynn99 , does the man you buy your bales from have a website or anything that I could look at? My car is pretty crappy and the gas I'd have to use would almost make just paying $55 at a local store the same.

The sweet meadow sounds like wonderful hay and I'm sure my pigs would love it. Unless my math is completely wrong it looks like [with shipping included] it comes out to be almost $4/ lb of hay. Which isn't necessarily bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.