Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Where do you store dirty pee pads until laundry day?

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. I would like to know what everyone here does with there fleece pee pads until laundry day? I do my piggies laundry once a week, but I find the pee pads I place in the piggy laundry hamper stink up the room as soon as I put them in there:sick:. I change my pee pads once a day, also the odd time I do twice a day. Does anyone seal them in bags or a sealed container until laundry day? Or do you just use a regular laundry hamper and deal with the smell? My piggies are in my bedroom and I have to keep their laundry in my room also,,,,,so any tips or tricks to help me keep the dirty laundry from stinking up my room would be greatly appreciated.

Gowroo

Cavy Slave
I had a similar problem but my solution isn't too exciting. I put them in a black bin bag and knot the top.. Crude but effective against the pee pads stinking up the utility room.

OzAllie

Cavy Slave
Maybe a nappy bucket with a lid? I have mine in a bucket without a lid, but I keep mine outside the back door so the smell stays outside :D

madrae

Cavy Slave
I use a plastic laundry basket I can wipe out and keep it in the garage.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I put them out the back door if I am not going to wash them right away. You can look into what is called a "wet bag" they use for dirty diapers. Then on laundry day empty the laundry into the washer and turn the wet bag inside out and wash it at the same time so that when the laundry is done it's all clean. Depending on how big your fleece pile it you may need more than one wet bag and probably need the biggest one they make. You can also make your own wet bag if you want by using PUL (available by the yard online or at some fabric stores). The PUL is waterproof and will help contain the odors. That would line the inside of the bag. The outside of the bag is usually cotton. Here is an example of a wet bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A60ODI/ref=twister_B0034UGFB6
I have two of these from when I cloth diapered my kids, The planet wise ones have good reviews but there might be nicer ones on the market. It's been a few years.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I put it all outside in a basket until it's time to wash them.

AnoherKim

Cavy Slave
Diaper pail with a scented Stick Up stuck inside the lid. Or you can dump baking soda in the pail to absorb the odors.

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Wow these are fantastic ideas, thank you everyone for your replies. I think I am going to try the "wet bag" trick. I cant believe I never thought of that.

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
I live in a small apartment with no patio. I swear I tried a lot of different things. What finally worked for me? A laundry bag that could be washed. Now I throw my fleece in it, tie it shut and then when it's time to wash, all of it goes in there - bag, fleece, everything. Works like a gem ;)

korryn92

Cavy Slave
I usually just use a garbage bag. I get the pull string ones and just ties the top really tight with a bow in it so I can put more laundry in it throughout the week. It usually keeps the room odor free :)

kltohlman

Cavy Slave
I keep mine in a storage tote with lid on that fits under cage. U get hit in the face with smell when u first open it but doesn't last long & u can spray with vinegar to clean & remove odor

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Don't know if it would be as necessary for washable fleece from a guinea big cage but when I used to have indoor pad trained dogs I got a diaper genie, the new kind not the older type you twist. Once I got that the bad odors were no longer an issue. Putting them in a trash bag every time I opened that bag was just awful.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I was thinking the diaper genie might work. That wet bag sounds like a neat idea too. I live in an apartment so I put my used fleece in a garbage bag in the kitchen closet where my trash is kept. I don't have a problem with it smelling but there are some great ideas here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.