Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where do you keep your piggies?

pocoyo

Cavy Slave
Just a quick question really to find out where everyone keeps their piggies. I keep mine in our spare room...they have the room to themselves. However, they don't get much social interaction with us. We are moving soon to a bigger house and I was thinking about putting them in the dining area so they have more interaction. I'm not sure what would be best. Or should I give them their own room again?

Just looking to find out what you have found to be best. :)

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
My cage wraps around the wall from the living room to the dinning room. Everyone in the house has to walk past tem many times a day. One of our piggies loves the attention and one hates it. So I am rethinking the placement of the cage. I just know I want to keep them out where we can watch them throughout the day.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
My CC cage is between the living room and dining room so they get extra attention since we walk right by the cage pretty much all the time.

I want to get an apartment some day with a spare room just for them but then I have thought the same thing about them not getting enough social interaction.

I guess it depends on how much you go in the room and give them floor time and attention. If they are in the spare bedroom but still getting all the love and attention they need there is nothing wrong with that.

I like my piggies being where they are because when we are watching TV we get to see them play and laugh at the silly things they are doing or watching them chase each other!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
The room with the most activity and social interaction would be best. As long as it's not too noisy (to the point of the piggies being scared all the time).

Ours are in our bedroom, but they are not isolated. The bedroom has two doors that are open to the main living areas. Our piggies can see and hear us at all times. Plus, we are constantly in and out of "their" room (talking to them, taking care of them, etc.) so they are never alone for long periods of time.

pocoyo

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your replies. We are moving to a house with an upstairs, therefore, they would be in their spare room up there as all the bedrooms are upstairs. I am afraid that they will be more isolated up there. I am all on one level at the moment and they can hear me going into the kitchen to prepare their veg and they come wondering in. They won't be able to wander out their room upstairs because I will have to shut their door in case they fall down the stairs. I would really prefer to have them near us so they get a feel of life if you know what i mean, rather than an existance in a room.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I have mine in a 2x5 cage in my bedroom, on my futon (laid out it's full size so the cage fits perfectly) They are in there all day by themselves on weekdays, but basically from the time I get home till I go to sleep I'm in here. Honestly, as long as you have more than one, I don't think they will be too depressed being left alone most of the day. We are probably like big monsters to them. It's good to keep interacting with them though.

luvmyboyz

Cavy Slave
My two guys are in the dining room. They have the entire room. They like it there because unless we are all asleep, they always have company.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
My cage is in my room.. If I had my own place they would have either their own room, or be in the living room.

AnimalFarm2006

Cavy Slave
My cage is in my closset of my 4 by 6 foot room. I have three 2x3's and I'm building a exstra peice for my girls on my dresser so they have more room when the mothers babys are born.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My pigs cage is in my room, they also have free range in my room and parts of the rest of the house.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I would love to have mine in a common area of the house, but I can't. I have two dogs...one could care less and the other doesn't understand why we keep his lunch in a cage. So, we error on teh side of caution and have them in a spare room.

Skydancer

Cavy Slave
I have two dogs...one could care less and the other doesn't understand why we keep his lunch in a cage.

:) My dog is also like that! Every time I take out the fleece sheets he sniffs them and wiggles his tail like, "Whoa! I'm gonna get some food!"

Anyway, I keep my two pigs in my room in two separate cages (unfortunately they fight). At first we needed some time to get used to sharing one room, but now it's fine. :) It can get a little annoying when one piggy starts chewing his cage during my meditation sessions; I try to take it as an exercise in concentration, haha...

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have their own room off a little walkway between my kitchen and living room. This room was supposed to be our home office, but the animals have claimed it as their own :)

alerz

Cavy Slave
I have my cage in the living room, right next to the couch, so I can spend time with them and keep an eye on them, although on the weekends and at night, they have full access to the floor, so they're not really in their cage anyway! I've thought about moving the cage to the "office," but like you, pocoyo, I am worried that they would be isolated in there and I would miss their antics!

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
I keep mine in my bedroom right next to my bed. As soon as I get up he runs over to the side of the cage where my bed is. It is so cute! Some times he will give my a wake up call of loud squeaks.

Fanch

Cavy Slave
I keep mine in my bedroom. This is were I spend most of my time. My computer, homework, reading, relaxing, all takes place I my room, so the pigs are there.

I agree with everyone else about keeping them somewhere with lots of action. I wouldn't advise the kitchen though. Everytime you open the fridge, you would get a sea of wheeks. Not saying thats a bad thing, but personally after a few months that would give me a headache:crazy:

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
I keep my little girl Hope in our dining area. It is open to where you see the kitchen and living room area too. So she gets plenty of interaction from me, my son, and husband. And even our Golden Retriever, Clifford will stop by her cage and say " Hi!"lol Of course, he saids it in his own way with a little sort of whimper. But that is his way of greeting her.:)

LonePig

Cavy Slave
I keep mine in my dining/living room area!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
My girls are kept in the games room although it is not much of a game room just a sofa, the fish tank and the piano. I spend alot of time in there though reading. The main part of the house is the lounge room, the kitchen, the dining room and the games room which are all open and flow through to each other making one big room, if that makes sence.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
My piggies are in a 2x4 C&C cage in my bedroom. This is the most active room in my house, I spend most of my time there when I'm home.

I would have put them in my dining room where they could of had a slightly bigger cage, however that is where my dog's bed is and he gets shut in there at night so he doesn't wander into the living room and jump on the sofa (there's a baby/dog gate on the doorway, there's no doors downstairs). While he seems unconcerned by the pigs when he's in my room I wouldn't like to chance him on his own with them.

I have a bit of a weird layout in my home, it's an old bakery converted into a 2 bedroom house and in order to access the bathroom you have to go through either my bedroom or my Dad's room to get to it!

With the pigs being in my bedroom I try to keep their cage extra clean, also I keep the window open slightly when I'm at home to reduce the chance of myself getting any allergies. Saying that, I'm considering buying an air purifier just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.