Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Where can i buy good quality hay and pellets?

• Thread starter Ilovemypiggies1
  • Start date

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I know this is bad but right now my guinea pigs' are being fed Kaytee guinea pig pellets and Kaytee Timothy Hay. As they are low quality i would love to buy them good quality hay and pellets like Oxbow, Kleenmama, etc. but i'm not sure where to find the products. I do not order online and i think for Kleenmama's you have to order online so unfortunately i cannot get Kleenmama's. I live in the southern CT area, would any of you know where i can get Oxbow pellets and hay for a resonable price? Are there any "pet store" brands that are more high quality than Kaytee? There's a store nearby and for a 5lb. bag of Oxbow it is $9.90 and i can't remember the price of the timothy hay but i was wondering, is that a resonable price for a 5lb. bag of Oxbow? Thanks so much, i really apprechiate any of your answers.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Are there any other good following brands after Oxbow and Kleenmama's that are sold in stores, not just online?

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
There is Oxbow pellets at the pet store near my house.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you go to the Oxbow hay website, there is a store locater you can use to find one near you. If there is a rescue near you, they can probably tell you where to get it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Any by the way, store brands are all terrible.

walleandeva

Cavy Slave
I've been advised to use burgess supa guinea excel but, on the packet it says its got beet pulp in it. I shouldnt feed my two boars that should I?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I've been advised to use burgess supa guinea excel but, on the packet it says its got beet pulp in it. I shouldnt feed my two boars that should I?
If you could find Oxbow that would be better. Otherwise Supa Guinea Excel is one of the more acceptable feeds for cavies in the UK. There is a thread over on guinealynx that has suitable pellet brands for those in the UK.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I currently have a lot of Kaytee pellets and Kaytee Timothy hay left but definitely when we get low i will go to the local store that sells Oxbow and buy hay and pellets from there as they are way better quality. I would just hate to see the newly bought Kaytee brand food supply to go to waste so i have to use it up first.

guineapiglover0

Cavy Slave
i wouldent by it from a petstore i by it from a farmstore:D u also save money

Last edited by a moderator:

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I finally made my decision of just to use the Kaytee hay brand but i'm mixing their new Oxbow food with their own Kaytee. We have some local feed stores around here so when they run out of hay (probably in 4-5 months) i'm going to check one of the feed stores. Yes, i heard that you can get it so much cheaper by the bale, thanks for telling me though. :)

guineapiglover0

Cavy Slave
If you could find Oxbow that would be better. Otherwise Supa Guinea Excel is one of the more acceptable feeds for cavies in the UK. There is a thread over on guinealynx that has suitable pellet brands for those in the UK.
farmstores are cheeper

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
farmstores are cheeper
So? You want to feed quality pellets and hay. Sometimes in order to do that you have to order from places that sell quality items.

Please also see the private message I sent you earlier today.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Feed store hay and pellets really vary in terms of quality. If you can find a quality source nearby, good for you but not all of us have that option.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.