Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When will she give birth?

dinorap

Cavy Slave
My 'lil baby, (Not really a baby) Reese's, is pregnant!:yikes: I can't wait for the babies! She's expecting soon. I've gone on Guinealynx, and read all the signs of labor, and all of the signs appear to be happening! I'm so excited! But I have a few questions:
1.) Is she too young (she's exactly 6 months old 11 days)?
2.) How do I know when she's in labor?
3.) My guinea pig gets apples and carrots every day, can the babies too?
4.) Should I help her deliver birth?
5.) What do I do if I get a still-born? :sad:

Thanks in advance! I'm so excited! :lovestruc

Was this a planned pregnancy? Seeing as how she's already pregnant, your first question is kind of irrelevant. Guinea pigs should not eat carrots or apples every day, so no, the babies shouldn't either. I'm not sure how you'd "help her deliver". Did you know that not all females will survive giving birth, it is very risky. Do you have a vet that is trained in exotic animal care on speed dial should things go wrong? Do you have alfalfa based pellets ready for the babies (at only 6 months, your current guinea pig should have been eating them anyways). Perhaps these are things you should have been thinking about PRIOR to her getting pregnant. Good luck.

Do you have a good exotics vet? I would make sure I had one in case something goes wrong. Also, your cage needs to be baby proofed; you can over lap grids so the holes are smaller or zip tie on more cardboard so it is 10-12 inches high. That's all I know- I've never dealt with a pregnant pig before- If you have any questions i would call a knowledgeable exotics vet.If some of the babies don't survive, how you respect them is your decision-bury them, or some vets will do that for you if you don't have a yard/ability. Please make sure you have a reputable cavy savvy vet lined up!

Was this a planned pregnancy? Seeing as how she's already pregnant, your first question is kind of irrelevant. Guinea pigs should not eat carrots or apples every day, so no, the babies shouldn't either. I'm not sure how you'd "help her deliver". Did you know that not all females will survive giving birth, it is very risky. Do you have a vet that is trained in exotic animal care on speed dial should things go wrong? Do you have alfalfa based pellets ready for the babies (at only 6 months, your current guinea pig should have been eating them anyways). Perhaps these are things you should have been thinking about PRIOR to her getting pregnant. Good luck.

Actually, no, it wasn't a planned pregnancy. But yes, I have a vet on speed dial. But you forgot to answer one question; "Is she too young?" That was the question I was hoping to get answered most.

Actually, no, it wasn't a planned pregnancy. But yes, I have a vet on speed dial. But you forgot to answer one question; "Is she too young?" That was the question I was hoping to get answered most.

I did answer that question by saying it was irrelevant, meaning it doesn't matter. She's already pregnant. Obviously, she's not too young to get pregnant. Good luck with the babies. I'm sure other, more experienced cavy people can give you better answers.

I really don't know if she's too young, sorry. Each pig will be different in labor. I hope she does okay, good luck, and sorry I couldn't answer your question.

I did answer that question by saying it was irrelevant, meaning it doesn't matter. She's already pregnant. Obviously, she's not too young to get pregnant. Good luck with the babies. I'm sure other, more experienced cavy people can give you better answers.

Alright, well thanks. :D

I really don't know if she's too young, sorry. Each pig will be different in labor. I hope she does okay, good luck, and sorry I couldn't answer your question.

It's fine. Btw, have you ever had a pregnant pig?

Six months is not too young.

You may never know she's in labor. It usually doesn't take them long to deliver, and you may go eat dinner and come back to pups. Do however, watch her carefully, and if you see her sort of hunched up and straining, she may be having difficulty delivering and may need to go off immediately to an exotic vet.

Apples and carrots are NOT a good daily diet for guinea pigs. She should have no more than one baby carrot a day, and a bit of apple no more than once or twice a week. She needs red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers as staples in her diet, and other things can include cilantro, tomato, endive, summer squash, parsley, green beans, and a bit of greens such as kale or spinach. Read the "read me" sticky on the Diet and Nutrition forum for what you can feed and when.

You want to aim for a cup of veggies a day for her, with maybe an extra lettuce leaf thrown in. The veggies, unlimited long strand grass hay, and 1/8 cup of pellets are a perfectly good diet for her. The babies can eat what she eats.

You shouldn't need to help her, but if you're there when it happens and she doesn't open the sac for the baby, you should carefully cut it open and dry the baby if she doesn't.

If you get a stillborn, you just remove it from the cage.

Oops, nevermind.

Six months is not too young.

You may never know she's in labor. It usually doesn't take them long to deliver, and you may go eat dinner and come back to pups. Do however, watch her carefully, and if you see her sort of hunched up and straining, she may be having difficulty delivering and may need to go off immediately to an exotic vet.

Apples and carrots are NOT a good daily diet for guinea pigs. She should have no more than one baby carrot a day, and a bit of apple no more than once or twice a week. She needs red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers as staples in her diet, and other things can include cilantro, tomato, endive, summer squash, parsley, green beans, and a bit of greens such as kale or spinach. Read the "read me" sticky on the Diet and Nutrition forum for what you can feed and when.

You want to aim for a cup of veggies a day for her, with maybe an extra lettuce leaf thrown in. The veggies, unlimited long strand grass hay, and 1/8 cup of pellets are a perfectly good diet for her. The babies can eat what she eats.

You shouldn't need to help her, but if you're there when it happens and she doesn't open the sac for the baby, you should carefully cut it open and dry the baby if she doesn't.

If you get a stillborn, you just remove it from the cage.

Thanks a lot! :D

Are you planning on keeping the babies?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.