Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding When should I...?

Feliciew

Cavy Slave
I got two lovely boy piggies recently, and I was wondering when I should start trying to feed them from my hand, picking them up, etc... They are okay exploring the cage when no-one is near it, one more than the other, but if anyone tries to go near they'll bolt back to their hidey house. I know it takes time for them to gain my trust - but when/what should I do to help build that trust?

It should be safe to pick them up; even if they squirm or run away, it's an instinctual thing. They're prey animals by nature, so they are commonly terrified of something big and scary picking them up! By doing so and holding them gently, they should slowly come around. My pig now was not a fan of being picked up when I first got him, and a month later he doesn't fight at all!

I think by maybe talking to them while putting food in their cage, they should slowly warm up to you and realize that you don't want to hurt them. :)

I meant time for me to gain their trust btw! Woops!

And thanks, I will try holding them more then. I saw one lady wraps her guinea pigs gently in a towel, to make them feel safer. Is this recommended? Does it make them happier about being held?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.