Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding When should I reintroduce them?

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I have two boars, a father and a son about 11 months and 7 months old. They're currently in a separated C&C. I separated them because they starting fighting, and Sundae (the father) got a nasty cut behind his ear. That was maybe two or three months ago. I'm pretty positive that the cause of their fighting was puberty, because they were perfectly happy until Snickers hit about four months old. My question is, how long should I wait until I try to reintroduce them? Should I wait until Snickers is a year old? They seem much happier since they can see each other, but they still rumble through their grid barrier.

Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How large is your cage? If it's big enough, you might be able to put them back together. Or at least try it again. If not, I'd suggest waiting until they're both out of puberty AND you've got a larger cage. See the Home page of this website of cage size recommendations.

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Their cage is a 2X5 C&C, which I read is the minimum for two boars. Unfortunately, a 2X5 is the biggest I can make their cage, because I have limited space. I think I'll try to reintroduce them next week after I clean their cage. Thank for your help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x5 should be large enough. Make sure the cage is very clean and NOTHING smells like either pig. Take out the hideys if you can't deodorize them, and replace them with cardboard boxes until things settle down. Be sure you've got at least two of everything in the cage, spread around so neither one of them can guard the food or the water.

If this try doesn't work, then maybe you should just divide the cage and leave them separate for a while. They'll grow up eventually, and maybe then they can live together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.