Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When is my guinea pig going to go into labor?!?

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is very pregnant and has about one finger separation of the pelvis bones... She has been laying in the same place for the past 3 days now, and only eats when i bring the food to her.... Her babies kicks are really strong, i'd say theres about 3-4 of them. When do you think she'll go into labor?

DreamWalker

Cavy Slave
Hi there! So my own guinea pig Peanut is literally at the same spot yours is in her pregnancy. 1 full finger separation and wriggling babies between 3 and 5. Now, peoples finger width are all different, for example I have small hands thus my finger width is about half an inch. Her pelvic bone should separate to about an inch when she is in the 24-48 hour time limit of giving birth. This is just my understanding having read up on numerous sites. When she is in labor, as you perhaps have read, she will hunch up in a corner squarely and make hiccuping movements, which are contractions. If she has about a finger separating now (assuming your fingers are small like mine) she may still have a week before birth. I would recommend measuring your own finger to estimate how far she had dilated now, and have an understanding of how much further she has to go :)

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=38497]DreamWalker[/MENTION];977917 shes been drinking a lot of water, and has just been laying in the same spot for 5 days now (literally have to bring the food to her otherwise she wont eat).... im starting to get anxious... are these normal syptoms?

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
Ive been trying to keep her in the dark by covering the cage with a blanket... Should i continue doing this or?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't have to keep the cage covered. She'll be fine.

Just make sure that the area under her is kept dry so she won't get urine scald, and put her water, hay, and food close to her.

DreamWalker

Cavy Slave
Sometimes if the pregnant piggy is really big they won't move much at all, or are incapable of doing so. Peanut moves to eat her food, but she is otherwise laying down, even while eating usually. I wouldn't say thats an abnormal symptom, just take her to see a vet if you see something way out of place in her behavior or mood such as she stops eating or drinking completely.

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Checked her this morning, her pelvis bones are now about a thumbs width apart (2 cm).... i could hear the babies teeth chattering last night as well. She seems to be breathing deeper, and sleeps all day. She only moves to get water and to get food... Ive been giving her some bell pepper slices and she loves them... I have her separated from our other guinea pig Fudge (the dad), and he keeps squeaking to her from the other cage, its sorta funny X3... Any other advice as she gets closer to giving birth?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If his cage is next to hers, then put a lid on her cage. He can push up a lid on his own cage to get out, but can't lift a lid to get into hers. She can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, and back-to-back pregnancies are extremely hard on both sows and pups.

You should be aware that we are a strongly anti-breeding, anti-purchase, pro-adoption forum.

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] "If his cage is next to hers, then put a lid on her cage. He can push up a lid on his own cage to get out, but can't lift a lid to get into hers."

Dont worry his cage is on the ground and hers is up on a dresser :3

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
Guys guys guys guys!!!!!!!!!! Shes in labour right now!!!! I can see the first baby right now!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
she had 2 babies. both stillborn.

DreamWalker

Cavy Slave
... Oh my gosh i'm so sorry </3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry they're stillborn.

But please don't breed them again. That sort of thing happens far too often with guinea pigs.

ShatteredLight

Cavy Slave
I think she's going to die as well, she definitely has one more baby in her that she cant get out and she's really weak and laying down... is there anything I can do?

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Can you get her to a vet ASAP? I've never had a pregnant pig, but I'm pretty sure this is an emergency.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vet, ASAP. She should have gone last night. There's nothing you can do.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Exotics Vet ASAP. This is why we dont support breeding on this forum. I'm so sorry, I hope your piggie is okay.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry about the babies, please let us know how the mom is doing.. I am sending lots of prayers for her