Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting When I introduce the girls

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
We recently adopted a male called Zebedee. He's 7 months old and he is to be neutered on Thursday. I was wondering if once he has been neutered (and been in quarantine again) will he still mount the girls in a sexual way?

Will he be automatically dominant because he is male?

Anything else I should know about having a mixed sex group?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Yes I have read that they will still mount. I'm going to be introducing a neutered male to my girls in a about a week. He's out of quarantine, but he can't be in direct contact with them yet.

As I am in a similar position as you are I believe a mixed sex group has a better chance of getting along because it's more natural to their wild environment. You can do a forum search and there is some information from people on how introductions went and how the herd gets along with a neutered male.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I've had several mixed groups. I adopted two boys originally, when they were two months old. Then my heartstrings got pulled to adopt this girl in a really bad spot in Canada. I stopped by the shelter there to get her a same sex friend and all they had were a bonded pair. So I planned on having two cages: two boys in one, three girls in another. I was having a really hard time introducing the single female to the bonded pair. On top of this, my boys hit puberty and went really crazy being able to smell girls in the house.

So I ended up neutering the boys. One went in with the single female, one went in with the bonded pair. The bonded pair accepted the male without trouble, as did the single female. After the male in with the single female passed away, I was able to put the single female in with the bonded pair and their boy without issue.

Honestly though, the girls mounted the boys in my groups much more often than the boys mounted them. Usually, the boys would start to get frisky and try to mount the girls, and the girls would buck them off and mount them in return. Poor boys.

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I have a neutered boar in with three sows and its much more calm in the cage, yet at the same time more humorous and eventful. With Booger (boar) in with the sows the dominance tensions with the girls have gone away (except with their hidey houses).

Yes.. booger still tries to mount the girls, and is sometimes sucessful if one of them is in heat, usually he just gets denied. But I hesitate to say he is the dominant of the group, atleast with mine. Gertrude (dominante sow) has absolutely no problem running him out of a hidey house. But like I said, the domiance tension is pretty much gone. Food bowls/hay racks are shared. Before.. it was very clear the dominance hierarchy with my sows.. now, not so much.

Everynow and then when one of my girls are in heat they will mount/get mounted by one of the other girls, but I haven't noticed booger getting mounted by the girls yet.. which Now I will be watching for thanks to Piggiemom