Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When Can I?

ajax75

Cavy Slave
Purchased my two female guinea pigs yesterday, they have a large indoor cage and spent one day hiding away from me in their little house. Overnight came out and left me little presents all around their cage! But at least they had come out!
Today after leaving them some fresh veg they have both been quite active running round, one picking on the other, finding out who is boss! They are between 6-7 weeks old.
When Can i..

1.. start handling them more?
2.. Let them go in a big run for a while whilst I clean the cage?
3.. Let them go outside in a big run if the weather is good?
4.. Start introducing other foods?

When i bought the cavys i was just told to let them settle in for a couple of days before a lot of interaction took place.

At the moment if i move a bit too quickly past their cage then run into their beds and hide low for a while before coming back out again.

I have one short haired and one longish haired cavy. (Short hair - Winnie, very bossy, long hair Tigsy, very vocal and bit of a scaredy cat!)

Sorry if Ihave asked some obvious questions or they are in here somewhere, I am still trawling thru the posts! Have had some great tips already tho, so thank you all! Angela x (W&T's too xx)

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

GeorgieLolaLove

Cavy Slave
Not pig-related, but are you an Ajax fan? I'm dutch so that would be funny!

ajax75

Cavy Slave
If you purchased them from a petshop you will need to handle them immediately as you will need to sex them again. Petshops are notorious for selling mis-sexed pairs, and despite it sounding great, babies are not necessarily a good thing!

Your cage will need to be bigger if the cage is store bought. Take a look at the front page of the site and read the piece about store cages.

Pretty much all the points you asked can be started after a few days of letting them settle in. Handle with a lettuce leaf handy, then they can associate you and being picked up with food.

Thanks for your reply stubblychin! Yes had them sexed independantly from the pet shop, and both girlies still! the cage is 60cms width x 120cm length x 40cm height. Will read now about the minimum requirements. Having a larger run built at the weekend so will see if I need to make the cage bigger too. Have noticed the sort haired cavy is much more approchable than the longer haired one, although she does also seem to be the dominant one too. Think the short haired one is still quite scared. They both came out their cage beds today for grub but still legged it any time I got close!!

ajax75

Cavy Slave
Not pig-related, but are you an Ajax fan? I'm dutch so that would be funny!

LOL no, I am not, although have been asked before! My name is Angela Jackson, and im called AJ and Jacks at work, so it sort of mingled together!!

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.