Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine When can I introduce neutered male to his pups

Wandabotha

Cavy Slave
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and not sure if it has been asked before. My sow gave birth today to two beautifull healthy pups. I had the dad neutered over two weeks ago, so that he can't impregnate her again. I took him out of the cage immediately when I saw the pups, although the sow gave birth during the day (while I was at work), and the bear didn't do anything. Should I keep them separated for a while to give her time alone with her pups, or can I put him back with her?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The boar is still capable of impregnating the sow until 4 weeks after his surgery, that's when all the sperm will have died off. So you can put him in in a little under two weeks.

Sows are capable of getting pregnant immediately after giving birth, so you'd better hope he didn't do anything!

Congrats on the pups, by the way, and welcome to the forum.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The boar probably DID do something, immediately after the pups were born, so you've most likely got a pregnant sow on your hands. You'll have to keep a close eye on her and feed her a very good diet, because back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

You can put him back with her four weeks after neutering, but you'll have to do full reintroductions again. And it may be better to wait until after she's weaned the pups and they're out of the cage. See this for introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I would think there's still a decent chance she's not pregnant again, since his sperm count would be lower than usual. There's also the question of heat cycles, but I don't fully understand how those work with pregnancy. She definitely could be pregnant again, but I'm a bit curious as to why you say it's 'most likely', bpatters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Because she's in heat immediately after birth, and the boar was in with her for some unknown about of time, but possibly several hours.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Ah, alright- I didn't know that they were in heat immediately after birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.