Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Wheel or ball for guinea pigs?

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
I feel like my piggies are bored in their cage and when I let them out they run around my room but its small and they get scared if my dog comes up stairs (he tries to smell them) we were going to buy a "playpen" from Petco until we saw that they were 60 dollars!! does anyone know ...
1. can I put a wheel in their cage (they make big ones I think I've even seen some that say for guinea pigs.)
2. can i buy them a run about ball like they make for ferrets, chinchillas, guinea pigs, and hamsters.
3. does anyone know of where I can find a "playpen" for not that much that's big enough for piggies or how to make one?
-sorry for all of the questions, I just want them to be happy, healthy, and have fun!lol

No ball, no wheel. They can injure a piggy. You can make a playpen or a fence with grids zip tied together. Have you tried moving things around in the cage? I moved the tunnel last night and you would have thought I put her in a brand new cage.

No, no balls, wheels or harnesses. Balls and wheels, most guinea pigs wouldn't even bother trying to use, but if they did, they can cause serious damage to the animal's spine - it's not made to bend that way and would do serious harm.

does anyone know of where I can find a "playpen" for not that much that's big enough for piggies or how to make one?
Check craigslist or other classified ads near you. You can also make a playpen if you zip tie extra grids together.

where could I find grids ?

Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Linens N Things, Sears, there are a number of potential places to buy them new - but be sure they're the "safe" grids - with 9 spaces across rather than 8; or you could check local thrift stores, I've found several grids at Goodwill.

where could I find grids ?

A lot of members on here have suggested looking on Craiglist, FreeCycle, Good Will, and Thrift Stores to get a good deal on grids.

If you have no luck with any of these, they can be purchased at almost any home store; Walmart, K-mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond...

I got mine from K-mart because I knew I could find them easily and that they would be the right size (remember they need to have 9 squares across, not 8 or 5 like some other brands).

Here's the link.

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

(broken link removed) Are the like this?

I can't find cloroplast?

oohhh ok bcuz I typed in coroplast and it said i was wrong thx

Google "sign stores" in your local area. There is one about a mile from my house! And, most towns (even small ones) have a sign maker. Call them before you go and make sure they sell it... most likely they've had people by coroplast for GP cages before (mine had!). I get a full sheet for $15 and if you drive smaller car they can score it so that it will fold down to fit! I'm sure that you're GP will not be bored once he/she has a bigger cage!

Cloroplast would indicate something green and edible. :p (teasing)

It's funny that you mentioned that. So many times when I go into hardware stores and ask where the coroplast is, my answer is usually always "Ummm, in the plant section...?!"
They look at me like I'm an alien. I just shake my head and walk away. You can't even purchase chloroplast!! :D

It's funny that you mentioned that. So many times when I go into hardware stores and ask where the coroplast is, my answer is usually always "Ummm, in the plant section...?!"
They look at me like I'm an alien. I just shake my head and walk away. You can't even purchase chloroplast!! :D

Thank you for my morning LAUGH!

For a play pen you can also try this from petsmart........
(broken link removed)

For a play pen you can also try this from petsmart........
(broken link removed)
I don't recommend those. They're small, overpriced, and the animal can easily get out.

I got the large one and the holes are small there is no way they can get out.....

I got two of those type of playpens to make a larger one for about $40. They come with stakes for outdoor use. They work and are pretty strong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.