Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Forages Wheat Grass?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Is it safe to give my piggies the entire wheat grass plant or should I cut it for them? I finally found some that was growing at Safeway and I plan on planting my own soon.

I grow wheat grass for my girls in the winter. I have a problem with mold growing on the soil. I have tried different ways of growing it, on paper towels, potting soil, perlite mixed with potting soil, etc. and have the best luck with perlite. I don't give the whole plant to the girls because of the mold and because I don't want them eating the perlite. I have read the mold won't hurt humans. I just cut it off higher and wash it well. I think it has to do with ventilation and over watering. I have read a fan will help.

I let them eat it straight out of the tray for the first feeding, this because they both enjoy pulling the strands out, and eating the roots (watch so they don't eat the seed however). But they do bulldoze over the whole tray, and the grass is probably much more short lived compared with just cutting it for them.

If you cut the grass, leaving a bit at the bottom, it will regrow. You probably need to add nutrients to the soil if you do it more than a few times.

If you cut the grass, leaving a bit at the bottom, it will regrow. You probably need to add nutrients to the soil if you do it more than a few times.

So I could cut the grass and let it grow out again once or twice and then give them the whole thing and start over again on the third time around?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.