Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Wheat Grass...growing our own !!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
Fixing to start growing wheat grass for our little girls. I am doing a Soilless method of growing. I figured it would be less messy that way and also i can just put the whole tray down for the piggies to munch on.

(broken link removed)That is the website i ordered the wheat from. This will be the first time that i ever grew wheat grass. Now i have grown Cat grass for our girls....they seemed to love it. I'm hoping they are goin to love the new wheat grass. Fresh grass is getting hard to find....it is gettin so hot here that all the grass is dying off and not worth feeding to the girls. So i had to find something to grow during the times i can go pick fresh grass. They LOVE their fresh grass..!!!

I do have a question.....??
Ok...i am doing the soilless growth of wheat grass...is it ok for the piggies to eat the roots too..and will it hurt if by chance the get a seed.?????

I have watched people put the whole tray down and just let the piggies munch away. How do they stop them from gettin the seeds, if the seeds are bad.
Have any of ya had any luck with growing wheat grass for your piggies?????

i have tried growing wheat grass several times an have run up against 2 problems. one is that it grows pretty slowly, and the other, probably related, is that i inevitably get mold starting to grow at the base where the soiless mixture is. i stopped after this - it just didn't seem worth it. hope yours works out better. let us know if it does, maybe i'll try again.

I tried growing some just in a tray of dirt and had no success at all. I don't know what I did wrong.

I grow wheatgrass in soil in a plastic tray, no problems with mold or anything so far. I let it grow to about 6 inches before letting the piggies loose on it. They eat it down to about an inch and leave it alone, they've never pulled out the roots or seeds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.