Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables whats your recipe?

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
I was wondering what your salad recipes are because i still haven't decided what to make minelol. All posts will help!

My staple salad is just green or red leaf lettuce with cilantro mixed in. I feed other things like bell peppers,cherry tomatoes or baby carrots, and other daily veggies at different parts of the day.

Twice a week the salad gets a blue color coded veggie (see the nutrition chart sticky). Parsley, snap peas, and arugula are hits.I have two younger boars that I give blue color coded veggies more often during lap time.

I would often use whatever we were using for dinner. If we made something with bell pepper, I'd cut some extra (or steal it) from the recipe to give it to them.

A lot of the time though I'd give them some romaine lettuce with a spinach leaf or two, some chives, two cherry tomatoes, and two small chunks of apples.

now im thinking this may be better, what does everyone else think?

1/2 Romain lettuce
1/4 carrots
1/4 tomatoes
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 cherry tomatoes

what does everyone think?

Variety is so important! That is the key! Don't feed the same thing every day. Switch it up. Per diet expert Ly&Pigs' veggie feeding post, you should:

• Feed a minimum of 1 cup of veggies per pig per day (side note- see last item in this list also)
  • Feed a variety of vegetables and fruits.
  • Feed 2 servings of leafy greens daily.
  • Feed 1 serving of veggies daily (non-leafy green vegetables).
  • Fruits can be given twice per week in moderation. (don't go overboard with fruits as they are high in sugars).

@Silver_mist :
  • Romaine lettuce, at least with my pigs and with @ILoveMillie 's pigs as well, romaine lettuce has given our pigs gritty urine (calcium deposits), so we tend to feed romaine a few times per week instead of daily. You can see how your piggies react to it and adjust the frequency of feeding accordingly.
  • Carrots are sugary and should be fed as treats. I feed them every other day.
  • Tomatoes are great.
  • Red bell pepper has a lot of sugar and should be limited to a few times per week instead of daily.
@Tunundary :
  • Spinach is high in vitamin A and oxalates (can result in oxalate stones if fed too often) and needs to be strictly limited to only one or two times per week.
  • Apples, like all fruit, are treats and are best fed a few times per week instead of daily.
Here's my feeding schedule (per pig):
  • about 15 sprigs of cilantro
  • a 1/8 slice of a bell pepper (alternating each day between red, green, yellow)
  • a leaf each of two types of greens (red leaf or green leaf lettuce, endive, escarole).
  • one or two other vegetables. These could be a few sprigs of parsley, the carrot tops we didn't use while cooking dinner, celery leaves, kale, dandelion greens, tomatoes, string beans, snap peas, some herbs. It changes every day, so they get plenty of variety.
Use the veggie charts! They are awesome! https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.