Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions What's wrong with my guinea pig?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have been having some strange symptoms, and I was wondering what could be wrong with them. So, here is everything that has happened or changed within a week: to begin with, I have two guinea pigs named Domino and Rascal that live in separate cages. (Because they fight) I previously had small pet shop cages, but then I learned how awful they were and how much better their life would be in c&c cages. Therefore, I got them each jumbo sized cages with 5 fleece flippers and a little kitchen with food and bedding. I flipped the fleece over today (after 4 days of use on one side) and I am going to wash the fleece on the 7th day. They seemed to love their new cages and adjusted appropriately. Yet, about 5 days ago they stopped eating their kale, which is PACKED with vitamin c. Rascal recently had his teeth trimmed, and it went smoothly and he began eating within hours. Now, after all of this, they have a few symptoms:

Rascal, has a runny nose, But they both have fairly crusty eyes. Domino's coat is slightly more rough than usual, especially considering I just gave them a bath a few weeks ago.

The thing that baffles me though, is that they still eat, drink, run, play, squeak, and fight through the cage bars as usual.

Any idea of what this could be?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh, also, Domino had mucusy poo the other day, but I was feeding him fore watery treats than usual.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
How often are you feeding them kale? Perhaps they just got sick of it, or never really liked it to begin with. Kale should only be feed occasionally because it is high in calcium and can give them bladder stones (best thing to feed for vitamin C is capsicum/bell peppers).

Rascal's runny nose and crusty eyes is concerning, I would suggest a vet trip may be in order because he could have a URI. Domino's coat could be rough because of the bath stripping oils from his coat, or he may be shedding, however a rough coat is also a symptom of a URI. Guinea lynx has an excellent page on URIs i suggest you check out.

It is great to see these two boys are in the hands of someone who cares for them. Hope your boys get well soon.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sounds like the start of an URI or something else, since usually pigs don't get mucus in their poops, even if they've had a lot of veggies.

As for kale, my pigs get sick of it fast. I usually only feed it a couple of times a week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.