Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What's the best hand vac for the job?

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
I'm looking into dumping the trusty ladle and opting for a hand vac for poop duty, but I don't know what strength I would require to get the job done properly with little to no clogging and issues. I was eyeballing them today in Wal*Mart and noticed they have different voltages, which one could only assume changes the level of their performance.

So, what has proven best for you? (And reasonably priced, of course!)

mbyrne

Cavy Slave
Hey There, I bought the cheapest one at Wal-Mart, it is a Dirt Devil, and came with an attached crevice tool. It is 7.2 volts cordless. I have had it approximately 2 months, and am very happy with it. It cannot suck up any poops without the crevice tool on, so that stays flipped on all the time. The only problem I have is that it will mostly not suck up hay, but when it does, the hay is long and keeps the rubber thing heading into the dirt cup open, so I have to stop, pull out the hay, then continue. Other than that, it is great, it doesn't suck up the fleece, but gets the poops, and a lot of the hair. It also has a washable filter, and washable plastic dirt cup.
If you are going with one without a crevice tool, maybe higher volts would be better, but this is the only one I've used for this purpose.
Let us know if you find one that seems to work better, and can suck up hay without problems!
Good luck, Monique

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
I've got a dirt devil scorpion quick flip. It is corded, so it has lots of power, and no batteries to worry about. I usually use the brush/furniture attachment (comes with it) so that it does not suck up to fleece.

I"m not crazy about the filter, but It is washable, and it does not clog. Big stems will jam the end open, but I don't know what would handle stems short of a shop vacuum. It gets up most pieces of hay just fine.

I would prefer to find something that has one of those plastic/slotted filters to get the big stuff, and then a fabric filter behind that just for the dust. I don't know if that works better. I'm just guessing it does.

The scorpion has the fabric filter inside the plastic dirt cup. It is easy to clean and wash. I can't complain for $20.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I invested in a Breville 6Volt Vac Master about a month ago, on sale for $45 but it's a wet/dry one so even if the poops are wet it won't blow the machine up.

It picks up poop, pellets and their bedding, and whilst yes it does suck up hay, I just have to pick up the really long pieces and put them in a plastic bag before hand.

The best thing is, everything is washable, and the 'catcher' part can even go in the dishwasher.

alerz

Cavy Slave
I have the Euro-Pro Shark SV725 Handheld Vacuum, which I bought from Big Lots for only $10! It works wonderfully, with a washable filter and enough power to pick up poops and not fleece. It is alright for picking up small, fine pieces of hay, but not the longer coarse pieces. I think it's a pretty good deal!

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Hey There, I bought the cheapest one at Wal-Mart, it is a Dirt Devil, and came with an attached crevice tool. It is 7.2 volts cordless. I have had it approximately 2 months, and am very happy with it. It cannot suck up any poops without the crevice tool on, so that stays flipped on all the time. The only problem I have is that it will mostly not suck up hay, but when it does, the hay is long and keeps the rubber thing heading into the dirt cup open, so I have to stop, pull out the hay, then continue. Other than that, it is great, it doesn't suck up the fleece, but gets the poops, and a lot of the hair. It also has a washable filter, and washable plastic dirt cup.
If you are going with one without a crevice tool, maybe higher volts would be better, but this is the only one I've used for this purpose.

I'm pretty sure I have the same one! And I can't disagree with mbrne- it works pretty good. I got it because it was cordless, and it works great for this purpose. After 3-4 spot cleans I recharge it and then it's good to go. And I do have the same issue with sucking up the hay.... But it picks up poos and hair great. Good luck vacuum hunting!

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your input!
I'm trying to figure out whether or not to stitch some underbedding to the fleece and buy a stronger vac, or a weaker one and stick with what I have now. I want to be able to suck most of the hair out of the fleece before the wash. It's that whole pesky money thing that keeps getting in the way of my cavy cage dreams, though. lol

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
That sounds like the one I have. I like it. The only complaints I have is that now that I have 4 pigs in a 3x8, sometimes the juice doesn't last long enough to do the whole job and with 4 pigs, I have to empty the cup several times. Other than that I like it. Just enough power to pick up poos but not enough power to mess with the fleece.
100_1410.jpg

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
That's the vac I was looking at, TX_2. My only concern with getting a weaker vac now is that I was considering a different bedding option. I was looking through the "Fleece Project" page and found this post, which I think is a very neat idea:

If you sew extra loft quilt batting betweeen two layers of fleece, then you have what I am finding is Perfect.

I sewed pieces of fleece sewn into strings onto the sides (like a chair pad) to attach it to the cage floor.

It was a simple project that turned out to be perfect and solved every single problem I had. The hardest part was fitting 4 layers of high loft polyester quilt batting and 2 layers of fleece in the sewing machine. I had to go a bit slow, but it worked. I was really worried it wouldn't fit in the washer, but it's about like washing a queen sized comforter. It's smaller, but thicker. My cage is 3gridx4grids. Larger cages could be done with several of them that pull apart to wash.
  • No more disposable pads newspapers, towels, or mattress pads
  • No more fleece getting sucked up while I vacuum
  • No more wet spots
  • No more bricks or rocks or clips or tape to hold it down
  • No more dealing with hair stuck to the fleece since the fleece is held down tightly the vacuum sucks it up when I do the poo
I also made and bought some thin style fleece pads that I use under hidey's. I even made a thin one that is tied to the ramp. It catches the urine and washes with everything else.

It's never wet in more than one pee spot, and lasts over a week in a 2 story 3grid x 4grid cage with 2 pigs before it starts to stink like old urine.

Flipping it over midweek makes it even easier to keep the buildup off the top layer.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your hand vac suggestions! I just went out and bought the dirt devil quick power! I love it and it is making my life sooooo much easier!

Lourdes

Cavy Slave
Hmm, i''l have to watch for saleson vacuums..or just use my shark sweeper. I've just been sing a small dustpan and brush.