Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other What's it like owning an old dog?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've never had a dog, but in want one. This is one of the things I'm slightly baffled and slightly worried about. Any thoughts?

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
Dog get old and they slightly change but I would never not own a dog over it! They're kind of like old people! They just get slower not so playful but if u try to be playful they will be, there more tired and relaxed then there is the health issues with there eyes and hips and joints but just as an elderly person there's the difficultly but there still ur amazing pet dog no matter what!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Dog get old and they slightly change but I would never not own a dog over it! They're kind of like old people! They just get slower not so playful but if u try to be playful they will be, there more tired and relaxed then there is the health issues with there eyes and hips and joints but just as an elderly person there's the difficultly but there still ur amazing pet dog no matter what!

Thank you, :) nor do I think it is not worth owning a dog over. For some reason, when I think of an old dog, I think of depressingness. It's not that I do not like seniors, not at all at all at all! It's almost like I feel an inability to relate. I'm sure it will get used to it because it will be a slow transition all it's life. One step at a time. :)

ps,I would still like any other experiences you all may have!

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
Exactly lol my dogs a senior and I still think of her a puppy till I actually sit and think wow she's older now and acts older, but with the steps of life you don't even really realize it!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rudy has become slower and more grumpy with age. He sleeps all the time now. He isn't as dog friendly as he use to be, especially with puppies. He doesn't like being told to move when he's laying down. He has arthritis, his hearing is going, he has cancer. He smells more than he use to.

But!

He is still a snuggle bug. He is still protective. He still loves to play fetch. He still licks all the time. His fur still looks amazing. He's still as smart and intuitive as ever. And most important, I am still his best friend ever. He howls every time I leave the house even if my husband is still home.

Rudy is now 11. I have had him for 10 years. Best dog ever. Hands down.

Here he is keeping me company while I was miserable with morning sickness. Such a good boy!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381638326.269899.jpg

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
In my experience, it's heart breaking AND a relief.

Heart breaking because they are more susceptible to health issues. Regardless of age, all dogs develop health issues and you should always have the money needed to care for them.

A relief because they're usually more well mannered than a younger dog. A younger dog may need training.

If I have the choice later on, I'll be opening my home to a senior dog. They have less a chance to get adopted and often get over looked.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone!

I will not be getting a dog within the next few months. It may be a few years, anywhere from 1 and 1/2 to 10 years. Yet, my family and I have been seriously considering it for a while now, so it is probably more within the 1-4 year range, if all goes well.

I plan to adopt and rescue a dog, not buy one. I'm thinking we will get a dog that is 1 and 1/2 or under, due to family compromises. If it was me by myself, I could go for a dog possibly 4 or under. I could stretch 6 yrs. if the dog was simply perfect. Also, b/c small dog breeds live longer, I could go older there too and be more likely to adopt a 6 yr. old if it was perfect for me.

The reason I would not adopt a senior dog as my first dog is because I don't think it'd s right for me. I just had a guinea pig (my first pets besides fish were the two guinea pigs I had, now the one guinea pig I have left) that died this summer at 3 years old. Now after this, I feel that I need something that lives longer. (Ps, this does not mean I do not like pigs! I can only have one pet species at a time, and I was thinking of trying a dog next. Family decision, and my personal one.

I was thinking of adopting a German Shepherd, purebred. There are a few german shepherd rescues 'near' me, as in not across the country. This is possibly the right dog for my family, as we want to be more active and this dog will force us to be. Also, there are other personal reasons for this dog.

Yet, I love all dogs and could almost be happy with any one.

sessigirl

Cavy Slave
My dog cinnamon is 12 years old and is still a spring chicken! Older dogs have many perks like most are already potty trained and you know their personalities. I get pups but they are more work for sure :) You can also try fostering for a local rescue, it can be heartbreaking when someone comes to adopt but it is the best feeling (you can ask to be updated - my first foster dog's owner just had a baby 6 months ago and it is so amazing to see a dog that was starving on the streets 2 years ago snuggling with a baby )

PeetaNewtAce

Cavy Slave
What a beautiful dog! Is he an Australian shepherd? My 9.5 year old basset hound is a Rudy also :D

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer

arod18007

Cavy Slave
If you're looking around 1-2 year age range they will be perfect. Not crazy puppy necessarily but also not sleepy senior. The family dogs (they live with my parents) are a variety of ages. Reggie is 12 (she's near the end I believe), Tucker is 6, and Buster is 1 and a half. Buster loves to run around and be super playful. He's very demanding but loveable. Tucker is pretty chill, he is more easy to love than Buster who needs to be doing something all the time. And since Reggie is so old she just likes to lounge around and gets grumpy when you try moving her. However, she's still a happy dog. Dogs do slow down as they get older but their personalities usually don't change drastically. If you want an active dog, before the age of 2 would be good. And German shepherds are beautiful, my second favorite breed, only after corgis lol.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
Old dogs can be wonderful to have! They are like old people, they start to get more health issues but in the end they still love you as much as you love them! My old dog Gus (R.I.P. my sweetheart) still got into trouble every once in a while considering he was once a street dog. But he was still pretty active, going on jogs, even before he peacefully passed away.

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
I have 4 dogs. My oldest is a border collie mix at 17 yrs old. The next two are 14 yr old schnauzers. And lastly, a 4 yr old chihuahua. My border collie is definately showing his years, what with his winter coat no longer shedding, arthritis , and general old age, but every day that little boy and the schnauzers play chase with the chihuahua alllllll over the yard. I completely understand wanting a young doggie, but I figured you'd like to hear they last a long time with good talc :D

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
(Idk why they are upside down on here)that is my oldest with my piglet

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1385531811214.jpg

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
Well someone on here said that older dogs are toilet trained but when dogs get old they can have lots of accidents in the house which is not pleasant as meat eating animals droppings smell so much worse than say a guinea pig or whatever. Our old dog rarely goes to the toilet outside anymore and it gets really frustrating because we take her outside for ages to see if she will go to the toilet and she always waits till she is back in the house. It is just something to take into consideration because some people do not realize this can happen as they get old. Obviously a dog of 1-4 yrs do not have this problem but later in life it is more than likely it could happen.....

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I adopted a 10 year old dog and it was honestly the best experience of my life. He was full of life and energy and just the sweetest, most loving pet I've ever owned. However when he turned 13 he developed a horrible condition in which his muscle wasted away. He struggled lifting his own weight up off the floor, and as a border collie cross that loved to play, he became very depressed at the fact he couldn't chase the ball etc anymore.

Like @veggiegirl says, prepare for indoor accidents. I laid plastic bin liners on my floor so as if he did have an accident in the night it was easy to clean up. He also suffered with a lot of stomach issues, something I hear is common in elderly dogs just because their digestive system isn't as strong as it used to be.

Either way I personally feel having an elderly dog, for me, was better than having a young excitable puppy, but I think that's just because me and Chip had matching personalities. It was heartbreaking to have to have him put to sleep, but it was better for him as he couldn't climb the stairs, get up off the floor without help, or stand up long enough to eat anymore. I still wouldn't change a thing and would strongly encourage you to adopt an elderly dog. Everyone over-looks them because of their age and sadly many of them die in rescue centers, never having a forever home :(

DSCF4106.jpg

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Thank you, everyone! I was almost slightly nervous about when my dog gets old. But, I suppose it's not so scary after all! That doesn't mean I necessarily want an older dog, though. Different people are meant to care for different ages. Yet, I just hate the thought of only having 3 or so years with it.

But, kudos to those who can! Thank goodness we have those people! I'm thankful that some people enjoy owning elderly doggies and pets. :)

And who knows, maybe I'll enjoy an elderly dog and get over my sensitivity! I just had my first furry pet pass away this summer, and that was kind of hard. But maybe it gets easier. :)

Thanks, everyone! This makes me almost want an older dog personality! If only I can get over myself.. :eek:

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Rudy has become slower and more grumpy with age. He sleeps all the time now. He isn't as dog friendly as he use to be, especially with puppies. He doesn't like being told to move when he's laying down. He has arthritis, his hearing is going, he has cancer. He smells more than he use to.

But!

He is still a snuggle bug. He is still protective. He still loves to play fetch. He still licks all the time. His fur still looks amazing. He's still as smart and intuitive as ever. And most important, I am still his best friend ever. He howls every time I leave the house even if my husband is still home.

Rudy is now 11. I have had him for 10 years. Best dog ever. Hands down.

Here he is keeping me company while I was miserable with morning sickness. Such a good boy!
He is just gorgeous. It amazes me how beautiful dogs can be!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
i have 13 doggies... one of my babies is ten years old and you could not tell it at all.... her only problem is she gets ear aches and she was hit by a car a few years ago and it damaged her spine and she cant wag her tail.... shes also fat=] but she is wonderful and we have had her since she was a pup..sweetie and loves laying in my lap and being petted.. we also have a doggie that we dont know how old she is but shes balding and has hardly any teeth and is blind and stuff... but she is a .... my nana also had a doggie that was 17 years old when i was 16.... she was always hateful but her last two years she turned into a sweetie and was a baby.... her other was just a few months younger than me and died of congestive heart failure at 16 years old... she was a fat baby too.... but dogs are wonderful and stay that way mostly

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.