Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding What's a nice age for a guinea pig to pair with an older guinea pig?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I adopted a sow, she's all by her self ever since, I remember her previous owner telling me about how aggressive she was with her cage mate so she had to separate them. I waited for a few weeks to get her used to her new home and since she had so many problems (diarrhea, underweight, mites) I waited for her to get better before I find her a friend.

I don't think she's one of those rare happy to be alone guinea pigs because she badly wants to join my herd of boars. She actually managed to sneak in their cage, luckily I was playing with them that time so nothing happened. The boars weren't even interested in her. She's very dominant, she's not like my boars like if you poke her or even try to (gently) push her, she won't move unless she wants to. She sometimes bites.

Because of her bossy behavior, I was thinking about getting a pup, so I was wondering in between what age would be perfect for her?

I think getting a pup would be better, as she seems bossy like you describe she might decide to mother a baby guinea pig. What is the age of your sow now ? Has she gone through her adolescence yet ? I do think a younger guinea pig would be good, but when the pup reaches adolescence stage she might try and be the dominant one and challenge your sow.

Shes 8-10 months. How old is a guinea pig to still be considered a pup?

I'm not 100% positive,but I think it's between 8-12 months your guinea pig stops growing, although it depends on every piggy there all different. I think your guinea pig would have passed adolescence now and I wouldn't consider her a pup. Getting a pup between 6-12 weeks could work out well, or getting a guinea pig that is considered laid back and has passed adolescence stage could be even better. That way your guinea pig can remain boss, and your laid back piggy wouldn't attempt to take that position away from her, which could make a good pair. Some rescues let you take your guinea pig there, and see which ones they suit the most and get along with. You could try that with your piggy and let her decide her companion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.