Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What would you pay a guinea pig sitter?

lattelove

Cavy Slave
We are returning in a couple of days from an 8-day trip. A responsible teen boy in the neighborhood has been going to our house to feed and care for Pebbles while we have been gone. What do you believe is an appropriate amount to pay a guinea pig sitter? This is the first time we have hired a sitter, so I don't know what is customary for a small animal.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Small animal pet sitting fees vary widely. Over the years, I boarded my piggies with a pet sitter, rescue, pet store, and family. These were the rates I paid:

Pet sitter's home (3 years ago): $25 daily and I provided the cage; food provided by pet sitter
Rabbit rescue: $20 for 1st pig and $5 for additional pig in the same cage provided by rescue; food provided by rescue
Pet store: $15 daily per cage which I supplied; food provided by pet store
Family (brother and 9 year old nephew): $15 daily for trio in my own home (brother and nephew live in the upstairs unit and I am in the lower one); food provided by me

My nephew did a great job ensuring my submissive pig, Lily, was not robbed of her veggies by the two other dominant pigs. He built a fiddle stick fort around Lily while she was eating. When one of the dominant pigs squeezed into the fort and stole one of Lily's veggies, he gave Lily two replacement pieces to make up for it. And my nephew told me that he helped with the poop pick up, which was a big deal with him.

I'd consider local babysitting rates and figure one hour/day at that rate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.