Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What veges are okay to feed?

so if i just peel an ear of corn can i snap it in to quarters and just put it in the cage?

Let me just mention. Two days ago I gave a piece of corn to my piggies. One of my piggies tooth got stuck in the corn. She kept shaking her head back and forth. It did finally come off. Because of this when I give a piece of corn I always make sure I am around to check them and remove it when I am not.

Would thawed frozen veggies work?

i have "Petgold" small animal vitamins, high potency multivitamin drops. i assume these are ok. ?? it says put 6 drops in pellets for a Cavy.i feed her 1/4 cup of pellets.

aslo could some of you experienced cavy slaves let me know if this is a good diet. i'm going to start trying it today:

1 cherry tomatoe
1 baby carrot
1/8 red bell or green pepper
chopped celery
2-3 springs of parsley
hand full of fresh grass
1/4 cup of pellets
hay

I rescues a guinea pig from someone who only fed him carrots and apples. she said that he wouldnt eat the pellets. He didnt eat them the first day, but the second day he was eating them. Im suprised he lived like that.

Alistua said:
Would thawed frozen veggies work?
No, you need to give fresh veggies only.

melodypig said:
i have "Petgold" small animal vitamins, high potency multivitamin drops. i assume these are ok. ?? it says put 6 drops in pellets for a Cavy.i feed her 1/4 cup of pellets.
No. They do not need multivitamins of any sort. It can do more damage to a pig than good.

Melodypig-your pigs diet needs a couple minor changes. You need to add some lettuce (any type but iceburg) and change the parsley to cilantro. Parsley is not good everyday but cilantro is. Parsley is better fed 2-3 times per week because it's high in calcium and can cause bladder sludge/stones. What I do when I give corn is I take the very outer husks off and toss them in the garbage and then peel the rest of the husk/silk off and give it to the pigs and I break the corn in half or into thirds and put the pieces in the cage.

Also, I asked you nicely yesterday to start using proper capitalization and punctuation. Since you did not heed the capitalization advice, I am now warning you to start using proper capitalization. It is a rule on this forum that must be followed by all members.

melodypig said:

aslo could some of you experienced cavy slaves let me know if this is a good diet. i'm going to start trying it today:

1 cherry tomatoe
1 baby carrot
1/8 red bell or green pepper
chopped celery
2-3 springs of parsley
hand full of fresh grass
1/4 cup of pellets
hay

That is a good daily diet, although if you can, offer coriander (cilantro) every day, and change the parsley to every 2-3 days. Try different lettuces on a daily basis, too. Romaine, endive, radicchio, escarole and other lettuces are enjoyed by pigs (avoid iceberg - it has little nutritional value).

I wouldn't call that a good diet at all....
Multivitamins are at the best worthless and at worst can harm your guinea pig

Tomatos- acidic and higher P than C ratio. They are more like fruits than vegetables and I would only feed a few times a week. Acidic things like oranges and tomatos can lead to mouth sores
Carrots- high oxalic acid and fat soluable vitamins. 1 baby carrot a day is ok but should not be fed along with any other foods high in calcium/oxalic acid
celery-watery, low nutritional value, almost no protien or vit c. The only thing it has in a high amount is calcium which is bad. This is rather pointless to feed except to add some variety. The only celery mine get are the leaves from when Chris eats some.
parsley- high oxalic acid and calcium(even more than carrots) only feed a few times a week if at all especially in combination with carrots

The bell peppers do help balance out the carrots and parsley being high in Phosphorous and low in calcium. Romaine would be another good food that is higher in P than C

Cilantro, lettuces,and bell peppers are some of the best foods. Don't feed iceburg lettuce because it's even worse than celery for nutritional value. It's basically water but has also upset guinea pig stomachs and caused diarhea which can be very serious for guinea pigs.

I didn't notice the multivitamins. Get rid of them - your pig doesn't need them if he is getting plenty of veggies each day.

A pig doesn't need multivitamins regardless of whether they are getting plenty of veggies daily or not. Multivitamins are not recommended at all. Vitamin C is probably what you are thinking. If a new pig isn't eating veggies or eating only very small amounts of veggies then it's good to supplement with a plain chewable vitamin C tablet with <1g of sugar and give about 25 mg daily or you can find the liquid C that you can syringe directly to the pig. Never put any kind of vitamin drops in the water.

About the cherry tomato and baby carrot discussion. For 1 medium baby carrot, it has a 1:1 ratio of Ca:ph. For 1 cherry tomato, it has a 0.5:1 ratio of Ca:ph. They are both very low in calcium, although 1 med baby carrot contains 69mcg of A. It is fine to feed 1 small-med baby carrot and no more than 2 cherry tomatos per day IF you are feeding other good things such as bell pepper, lettuces, and cilantro. If you feed stuff all the time that is high in calcium and A, which aren't recommended every day anyway, that's when you run into problems. When you give fruits, especially ones that are acidic, don't give the cherry tomato that day. Fruits are best given a couple times per week.

Our two girls love their greens, which usually are mixed salad leaves and baby spinach leaves. They usually get a small serve of carrot every evening, so far without any problems - but should we change that to every second day? I am also wondering about romaine - foods have different names in Australia, for example cilantro is only known here as coriander! Is romaine a lettuce similar to cos? I am also wondering if it would be okay to feed as an occasional treat kiwi fruit (chinese gooseberries). These are a great source of vitamin c, but I"m wondering if other slaves have tried them and, if so, did you peel them or are the pigs happy to eat the soft skins as well? Thanks.

Yes, another name for Romaine is Cos. I would give the carrot every other evening. Kiwi fruit is fine as a treat about once a month. My pigs hate kiwi with and without the skins, but yours may have different tastes.

Also, how old are your pigs? If they are over 6 months old, try not to give too much spinach.

Thanks Cool, I'll try some kiwi fruit tomorrow. I am relieved romaine is the same as cos because the girls love it to bits. They are both coming up to their first birthday (September - party time!) but they don't get spinach every day and only as a small addition to everyday greens. Any ideas for a gp friendly birthday cake/treat?:D

I just make a veggie cake! In other words, I get those little paper cake cases and stick some of their veggies in there...

Here's Charlie with his share of Tuppence's 'veggie cake':

Thanks Cool - gorgeous photo!

Sorry, I tried to resize the pic but it didn't work.

Kiwi is fine to feed 1-2 times per week. It's really good for Vitamin C. It has a 1:1 Calcium:phosphorus ratio. It does have a lot of sugar in it though. I feed kiwi to my pigs, they get it skin and all. I just take a soft scrub brush and wash the outside then slice it and feed it to the piggers.

Thank you for the information Ly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.