Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What veges are okay to feed?

Nicole - Adel

Cavy Slave
I have an idea of what veges are okay to feed my guinea pigs but can someone tell me if its okay to feed them banana? And if so do I peel it or give them the peel and all? Also I have seen you can give them apple but I haven't heard anything about giving them pear? Is that okay and should it be peeled first?

I use to give a tiny sliver of banana to my piggies, no skin. Since I don't eat bananas it was a waste to buy them and then throw them out. I would give a small piece about every 2 weeks just for something different. It can lead to constipation. They weren't that crazy about it anway. Pears are fine, skin and all, peaches, strawberries, watermellon, most fruits pretty much, just make sure not to feed acidic fruit like apples and oranges too often. They can make sores in their mouths. Experiment and see what your piggies like. Just remember that fruit is fattening so don't overload your piggies with them.

Look at https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#lists
Scroll down and you'll find just about everything you need to know.

If you want an example of a good diet, here's mine.
Every day, I feed each of my 3 pigs:

1 leaf of Romaine lettuce
A whole small-sized bag of mixed lettuces (endive, escarole and raddichio)
An eighth of a red/yellow/green pepper (no seeds)
1 cherry tomato (fleshy part only)
1 'fresh greens' leaf
4-6 sprigs of coriander
2 sprigs of parsley

Every few days, I substitute some of those foods for a couple of small pieces of fruit.

Oh, and this is spilt between two salads, so they don't get it all at once!!

my piggies loved the banana. They gobbled it up. They also enjoyed the apple and pear. I will definately cut back and just give it as a treat every once in awhile though and give them more veges instead. I bought some cherry tomatoes this week to try them with, I was just going to give them like they are but I will peel them first if thats what I am meant to do. I didn't realise too much apple would be no good. They love the apple.

Try more leafy veggies like lettuce(no iceburg) cilantro and pepper are also good dailys

mine get this everyday
1 leaf romaine lettuce
corn husk
two cherrie tomatoes
small bit of cilantro
two baby carrots
1/8 of a pepper
cucumber rhines(they dont like the light green part)
handfull of grass
2-3 times a week they get fruit
oranges once every two weeks
a brussel sprout OR broccoli OR cabbage once a week
then other things occasionally

they also get 1/4 cup of pellets
unlimited hay
and a vitamin c tablet

The reason you don't hear bananas, pears, or apples mentioned much is they are fruits not vegetables. Fruits should only be given once or twice a week in moderate amounts. I don't know of any fruits that can't be fed. I would suggest anything you would peel for yourself then peel it for your guinea pigs.

Our Piggies loave kale Greens..actually more than the romaine lettuce.

Kale isn't a good everyday food. More a good 2-3 time a week food.

Banana should only be fed in very, very small amounts once a month because it does cause constipation. Fruit should be a small part of the diet compared to veggies. It should be fed in small amounts. 1-2 pieces of fruit per pig a couple times a week.

Cavy-cool-crazy, I noticed you said you only give the fleshy part of the cherry tomato. You can feed skin and all. The skin won't hurt them, my pigs love it, plus a lot of vitamins are in the skin. Also parsley isn't really good everyday. If you cut back to parsley every other day and stick with the coriander everyday, your piggers would benefit better.

This is generally what I feed my pigs every week. It does change some considering what's in season(so now their main fruit is blueberries)and what we actually have right now(if only we had a walk in freezer/fridge!). This is what I feed to both of my pigs(this is for both of them combined)
Sunday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, a handful of chopped celery, 10 mint leaves

Monday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, ½ a tomato

Tuesday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, about 20 sprigs of parsley

Wensday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, a handful of chopped celery, 2 corn husk leaves

Thursday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, ½ a tomato, 10 mint leaves

Friday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, about 20 sprigs of parsley

Saturday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, 2 corn husk leaves

Tatalp said:
This is generally what I feed my pigs every week. It does change some considering what's in season(so now their main fruit is blueberries)and what we actually have right now(if only we had a walk in freezer/fridge!). This is what I feed to both of my pigs(this is for both of them combined)
Sunday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, a handful of chopped celery, 10 mint leaves

Monday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, ½ a tomato

Tuesday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, about 20 sprigs of parsley

Wensday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, a handful of chopped celery, 2 corn husk leaves

Thursday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, ½ a tomato, 10 mint leaves

Friday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, about 20 sprigs of parsley

Saturday-4 leaves of romaine lettuce, 2 leaves of radiccio, 2 baby carrots, 2 corn husk leaves

Just some advice, I would cut down on your carrots. Your feeding too many. I would also try some peppers in case you haven't already. Otherwise keep up the good work.

Ok, I'll stop feeding so many carrots, but my pigs absolutely hate peppers and refuse to eat them. If I can ever manage to get them to like peppers, I'll feed those :)

What about the inside part of the tomato? The bit with the seeds in. Is that safe for piggies to eat? What I do with the tomato is cut it in half and just scoop out the insides - is this right?

I give them the pepper every day, but they've stopped eating it. They loved it the first week, but they don't eat it any more. Even if I stop feeding it for a day or so, they don't touch it when I do give them some again.

They can have the inside part of the tomato. The seeds are small and soft.

If I understand Tatalp right each of the pigs get one baby carrot a day? One baby carrot (small to medium in size) per pig is just fine daily. But no more than that.

OK, thanks Ly!

Why are carrots bad? :eek: This is the first time I heard this. I feed mine baby carrots every day and they yell more for those than any other food.

I don't think they're completely bad. Just more vitamin A than most other foods and not as much vitamin C. From other posts, 1 baby carrot daily is fine. Try red bell peppers. They're just as sweet and have WAY more C in them.

Carrots are high in oxalic acid and fat soluable vitamins. That can lead to stones or liver damage. Both of which are very dangerous. No more than 1 baby carrot per pig daily.

Oof! I'm glad I found this place, I had no idea. Thanks!

I know that they love corn on the cob but I was just wondering if they can have cooked corn on the cob. Its just that we have it regularly for dinner and most times the kids don't finish all theres and I was wondering if rather than throw it in the bin if I can give it to the piggies? Or is that too soft for them when cooked?

No. All veggies they have must be raw. Cooked vegetables don't have as much nutritional value as raw ones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.