Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming What to do after cage mate passes

Wasser2018

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I currently have two girls left out of my original herd of 4. One of them is slowing down and will likely pass soon. The other is around 6 and she still seems to be alert and very agile.

My family cannot adopt another guinea pig or foster another one. I know it is usually extremely bad for guinea pigs to be on their own and I don’t think my girl would do great in her own. She’s shy and skittish. Is this a situation where rehoming would be acceptable and a good option?

I feel absolutely horrible about it but I want the best life for my girl. She could still live a while and she should be happy. I just need advice on what to do and how to go about rehoming if that’s right.

Thanks

In my opinion, it would add to her stress to rehome her after losing a cagemate. Imagine losing a partner and then being moved out of your home to live with strangers.

I would wait and see how she does if she ends up on her own. If she starts losing weight, doesn’t want to eat, or reduces her level of activity, then I would consider other options for her.

I have had single guinea pigs over the years and mine have always done well. Extra attention and interactive food toys help. Sometimes a small stuffed animal they can cuddle with also helps, as long as there are no plastic parts they can chew on. Mine has a little squishmallow she sleeps with.

Attachments

IMG_2129.jpeg