Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection What the symptoms

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mandy my 4 year old GP is making a grunting / wheezing sound. She doing every thing normal but it quite noticeable.. My b/f had a bad cold..Could it be a URI?

If she is having trouble breathing get her into the vet. Pigs hide their illness's very well, if you are now hearing it she maybe very sick. Get her into the vet ASAP. Get her checked out and on an antibiotic.

Guinea pig URI symptoms can be noise when breathing, Crust on eyes or nose, lethargy, fluffed up coat, anorexia, or even nose bleeds!

Guinea pigs are highly prone to get colds. You should probably take her to an exotic pet vet in your area to confirm what it is, and hopefully get answers. Guinea pigs also need to be taken to vets for checkups just like any other pets, so it is better to be safe than sorry. I am not completely familiar with URI with guinea pigs, but the information I got above was from my friend who works with an exotic pet vet.

Hope I helped,
Julia :)

I called the vet and let a messages it's 2:00 am here.. Of course since I called I haven't hear any sounds.

If you can, get her to the vet in the morning when they open.

We could only get a 4.40 apt. Will let all know what happens

Well we just got back and the vet said she is ok :) but did give some antibiotics if it happens again..The vet listoned to her chest and it was clear...what a relief !

@RodentsRus

Good to hear! Thanks for getting her in so fast! It shows how good of an owner you are.

Kudos to you!

Last edited:
we took our rat to as he has a breathing issuie also and they put him on meds diffrent meds...he is sooo cute :)

I started Mandy on the meds today becuse when she made the grunting sound agian. I heard it was contagious is it? Also I here the sound when she bends to take her poop out of her butt to eat it eat it. Does that happen to anyone elses when they have URI?

Pigs often make that sound when leaning down to grab a poop. It doesn't necessarily mean they have an URI.

Agree with foggycreekcavy. And don't start her on medications on your own just because you think something may be wrong with her -- it just makes the bacteria more resistant to the antibiotics, and less effective the next time you really need them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.