Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool what temp is too hot?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'd try and keep it down more than that, it's too hot. Just because they "Do fine" does not mean they don't feel bad. You could do fine outside in the summer all day, however that doesn't mean you would like it.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

Well, I also have a question of my own.

I don't have air conditioning in my house, but I do keep the girls water bottles chilled and fresh and I put a frozen bottle in their cage. I also don't run a fan or anything. I keep a window open too.

It is 75 degrees in the house, and with all of the things I do to keep them cool, do you think I will be fine? I have an Abby and American Piggy. I am not so worried about the American, but my Abby hated getting her hair trimmed and because I didn't have anything else but shears :)eye-poppi) I just trimmed...... Well barely anything off. But I ordered the Tiny Trim scaredy cutters to use next time.

Do you think I will be fine until I can properly trim her hair? It is 75 degrees F right now, but the high is 86. Though my house never gets higher than 75 really.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here are the ranges of temperatures for pigs:

If you house is between 60 and 80 degrees, the pigs should be fine, although you want places where they can get warm if it's close to 60, and places where they can cool off if it's close to 80. The higher the temperature above 80, the more you work to bring it down. The lower it is below 60, the more you work to have places they can snuggle to stay warm.

If the temperature is between about 65 and 80, you don't need to put snugglies in, or frozen water bottles, unless your pig just likes them.

We have one guinea pig on here who survived several nights in a snowbank with below freezing temperatures, and lived to tell the tale. But above 85, you have to worry about heat stroke.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Here are the ranges of temperatures for pigs:

If you house is between 60 and 80 degrees, the pigs should be fine, although you want places where they can get warm if it's close to 60, and places where they can cool off if it's close to 80. The higher the temperature above 80, the more you work to bring it down. The lower it is below 60, the more you work to have places they can snuggle to stay warm.

If the temperature is between about 65 and 80, you don't need to put snugglies in, or frozen water bottles, unless your pig just likes them.

We have one guinea pig on here who survived several nights in a snowbank with below freezing temperatures, and lived to tell the tale. But above 85, you have to worry about heat stroke.

Thanks, I really do appreciate it!

I keep the frozen bottles in JUST in case the temperature flares up high in the house, and the girls (mainly the Abby) LOVE to lay by it and nibble on hay.

Thanks bpatters!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.