Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool what temp is too hot?

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
so today the ac went out or something and my room got up to 80 something degrees. ive moved them to the downstairs bathroom but at what temp can i bring them back up? i plan to bring them downstairs as the temp rises through the day until we get it fixed. in the bathroom they have hay and 2 bowls of water. i want to get them back in their cage so i can give them their vegies but i dont know if its cool enough.
thanks

The ideal environment temperature is between 65 and 75 degrees. They are more vulnerable to hot temperatures than cold ones, so keeping them out of 80+ temperatures is definitely a good idea.

You can freeze a water bottle and leave it in their cage so they can keep cool with it when they feel hot. Frozen veggie treats can also be nice, and my piggies also love just playing with and nibbling at plain old ice cubes.

I wouldn't, that seems pushing it on how hot it can be before a guinea pig has problems. You can also freeze some water bottles and put them in there with a towel warped around them so that they aren't too cold. I also recommend a few ice cubes, some pigs love playing and nom nom noming on them, plus it helps a small bit to keep them cool. Guinea pigs do much better in cold then they do in heat.

wont the ice cubes melt into the fleece? my room is now 78 and dropping. is that ok if i add a frozen water bottle or 2? maybe some ice cubes?

They will melt, however they might play with them a little first, it's more of a quick toy then it is cooling.

is 78 ok if i add 2 frozen bottles at each end?

Not to jack the thread but I don't want to start a new one about nearly the same thing...

Our GPs are in our entry way which has it's own thermostat and heater. I have it set at 70 F... it's getting warmer out side and yet the heater keeps turning on - here's the question, should I turn the heater off so they don't overheat? Or just give them water bottles in their cage so they can cool down a little bit and leave the heater on? Or turn it down so it's around 65? Or do nothing?

@schavarry I don't quite understand your question, are you saying that it's about 70 in your house, or are you sayings it's hotter than that?

I lost 4 piggies and a rabbit when the a/c died while I was at work. The gauge
at my house read 110. So now I am very careful about the heat. I keep the a/c unit on 75 frozen bottles and fans going. We huge storms in the summer so I am hoping the frozen bottles in cagedo the trickke they ave in the astt summers.

Good luck at tkeeping your babies cool.

Sorry for the errors. Doing this on my phone.

@suzilovespiggie Are you on your phone? Your typing looks a little odd. xD

Edit: Never mind you beat me to it. xD

@schavarry I don't quite understand your question, are you saying that it's about 70 in your house, or are you sayings it's hotter than that?

The temp feels hotter than 70, the thermostat on the level above where the piggies are says the temp inside is 78F but the heat where the guinea pigs isn't supposed to turn on unless it gets colder than 70 degrees... I'm not sure if it's malfunctioning or if it's 8+ degrees cooler down there...

So should I give them water bottles in their cage so they can cool down a little bit and leave the heater on? Or turn it down so it's around 65? Or do nothing? (in writing this I realized turning off the heater entirely would be bad if it somehow got cold down there...)

I'd turn it down/off 78 is too hot for piggies, though you can also add the frozen water bottles wrapped in towels, that would help some

Turn the heater off. Pigs can handlecooler temps better than heat. Sorry guys dnt have a c9mputor right now. My phone does suck!

my room is 76 now and i added two frozen bottles.
thanks

They should be fine.

Thanks! I'm going to turn it down first thing in the morning, right now it's cooling off in the house and outside, I don't want them to get too chilly tonight.

I keep my A/C on either 76 or 77 degrees farenheit in the summer and my critters (3 pigs and 2 gerbils) do fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.