Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What size cage for 10 Piggies?

Collie 99

Cavy Slave
Hey there! :) I am a proud owner of 10 little Guinea Pigs. Or may I say, big Guinea Pigs! There are 9 sows and 1 -neutered- male. They are all in a C&C Cage right now. The size of the cage is 7x4 Grids. It looks very big for them, though I was wondering what the recommended size for 10 Guinea Pigs is?

Thank you!

7x4 is great! i would probally have for my 10 pigs (i wish i had 10!) 3x9 or 3x8 but your cage sounds huge! please post a picture! i would love to see your cage!

The size recommendations are on the Home page of this site.

Basically, you need a 2x3 for one pig as the smallest recommended cage size, which is 7.5 square feet. For every additional pig, you need another 2.5 square feet. So you need 7.5 + (9 X 2.5), or 30 square feet as the minimum size. Grids are a little larger, so you've probably got 31-32 square feet.

So your cage is a little on the small side, but may work ok for them. If you notice any undue squabbling, I'd add on a grid down the length.

[GuineaPigCages.com] What size cage for 10 Piggies?[GuineaPigCages.com] What size cage for 10 Piggies?

I'm buying 100 more grids to bulid (Hopefully) 3-4 floors of 7x4 for them. They also have an outside house (Hutch) Well two of them. That they go in in the summer time to play in the grass. Both Hutches are 7Fx3F but theywill also have a fence around it for more space (11Fx 7F)

The size recommendations are on the Home page of this site.

Basically, you need a 2x3 for one pig as the smallest recommended cage size, which is 7.5 square feet. For every additional pig, you need another 2.5 square feet. So you need 7.5 + (9 X 2.5), or 30 square feet as the minimum size. Grids are a little larger, so you've probably got 31-32 square feet.

So your cage is a little on the small side, but may work ok for them. If you notice any undue squabbling, I'd add on a grid down the length.

Going off by the size of my grids, it is 37 Square Feet.

That's plenty.

One word of advice about the multi-story cages, however. They're not a particularly good idea unless you've got a bunch of ramps. With as many pigs as you have, it would be very easy for pigs to get blocked somewhere. Also, extra stories don't do too much for them as far as exercise or room to run is concerned. Two is plenty, but so is one.

Outside runs aren't safe unless they're sturdy, snake and predator-proof, covered, and have some shade. Even then, it's a good idea to supervise them. And if you put them out in hutches, be sure to pay very close attention to the temperature. Pigs tolerate cold much better than they do heat, and anything above about 29 degrees Celsius can kill them.

Thank you! Don't worry about the hutch though. It is really safe! (Sturdy, Predator Proof, covered with shade) Our dog also watches it 24/7. Shes trained to bark and warn us if a predator goes into the garden. (Mostly Cats and Foxes) They only stay out there if the temp is mid. Not to hot nor cold, if it is too hot or cold they come right back in. We have a rain cover over it aswell, and it has double sides to block the cold out. It's completly safe and they do love running around and munching on the grass out there.

Oh my! TEN pigs! You might be better off building two cages and keeping 5 pigs in each.

Not too sure if I should, because they live very happily in one big herd so I don't really want to split them up. And I don't think I have enough space for two cages of 7x4 :p

No, two cages with five pigs in each would be 2X7. If you have a large enough space for the giant cage you want to make for 10 pigs, you surely have enough for 2 smaller cages.

Oh ok, but how would it benifit them? Surely it would be better just to keep them as one big herd, wouldn't it?

Well, two smaller cages would benefit YOU because a narrower cage would be easier to clean. Imagine having 9 roommates - even in a huge house, living with 9 other people would be more stressful than living with only 4 others, wouldn't it?

I think having them altogether is better...I like the idea of multi levels too...it just gives them places to explore.
Sounds like you are doing fine!...how'd you come up with 10?

I want to see pictures of the piggies! =D

If all the piggies get along and you don't mind the cage size then I don't see a reason to separate them.

I want to see pictures of the piggies! =D

If all the piggies get along and you don't mind the cage size then I don't see a reason to separate them.
i agree with ingle_rabbit and cant wait to see the sweeties

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.