Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay What should I do?

Jaclyn

Cavy Slave
So, I bought Kaytee Timothy Hay when I bought my pig. She didn't really like it from what I could tell. Then I read, somewhere, that she needed alfalfa hay since she is a baby. I got some hay from my friend who owns a horse farm, and it is a mix. It is much less "grassy" and more fiberous. I have since been told (here) that she doesn't need alfalfa hay, just alfalfa pellets (which I got yesterday in the mail...Oxbow preformacnce). I was also convinced by the seller of the pellets that Westen Timory hay is the BEST way to go, and while he suggests Oxbow (at like $6 a LB) he had some Jojo's best on clearance from $8/lb, on for $2.99. I bought it. We will see if she likes it. I put half my friend's hay to one side of the hay rack, and half of the jojo's to the other. What hay would you feed from this list? What should I chuck? If you say the Jojo's should I buy what he has in stock on clear out, or should I switch to Oxbow for the next bag as that is what he originally recommended and what he is going to consistently carry. This seems like such expensive hay, but I do want what is best for my piggy!

She needs timothy hay, not alfalfa. Alfalfa's a legume, not grass hay.

What kind of mix did you get from your friend? Generally, horse hay is acceptable for guinea pigs, but not all people are careful about the kind of hay they feed their horses.

Canada supplies half the world with hay -- I'd think you could find a farm store somewhere that sells timothy by the bale.

I am not sure what is in the mix, but I will tell you that it does not seem like it is that great! When I used to own a horse, me and her were stall neighbours and our horses got nice hay. This is not very green looking, or leafy.

I can order a large box, 25 or 50 lbs of Oxbow, which I hear isn't messy, and it is cheaper (like $2 a lb or less). I would prefer not to get a bale that is messy and the quality might be less than stellar.

Trust your gut about the hay. If you know what good hay looks like, and this isn't it, then by all means order some Oxbow. Even at $2 per pound, you're talking maybe $4-$5 per month per pig, which isn't all that expensive.

Good way to look at it! I would like to go with a 50lb bag (assuming that she will eat the Jojo's which I was told was very similar), but that might be too much for one pig! I don't know. It is definatly the cheapest, being about $1.50 a lb

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.