Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing What shampoos can I use?

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
So I'm curious about the shampoo to use. I know gorgeous guineas is preferred but I recently made an order for everything I need and forgot about the shampoo =/ but I'm also not going to order a 7$ shampoo and pay 5$ in shipping. I'm looking into ones at petshops, I didn't see anything at petco but petsmart does have a small animal shampoo ((broken link removed)) but I want to make sure it is safe for guinea pigs and won't dry out the skin too bad. Kahoots is another pet shop but they don't list on their website so I'd have to go there and look. I'd use baby shampoo but I've read that it isn't good for them. Don't worry I know not to wash more than 1 or 2 times a year.

I would only recommend a No Tears Shampoo, nothing too fragrant/harsh smelling. (Axe is a GOOD example of a BAD shampoo for Guineas, for instance.)

I would only buy from (broken link removed) as the first place to go.

Please don't buy from a Pet Store, they don't know the first thing about the animals and you will only be supporting their animal business ventures. I wouldn't + haven't trusted them since I came to this website.

Good, you know not to wash them too often.

So, there you go! Good luck!

Last edited:
Zuidy, No Tears is a human baby shampoo, and is NOT recommended for guinea pigs.

Squeaky Clean critter shampoo is good -- you want a very mild shampoo for exotic pets or kittens. I buy mine at Walmart.

@bpatters

Basically by No Tears I mean something mild..... I forgot that Johnsons makes a shampoo by the exact same name! Oops!

You want to avoid anything with harsh sulfates, most human shampoos contain this & it's very drying & harmful. You also want to avoid paraffin/mineral oil, and silicones (stuff ending with 'cone'). It has to be mild, and preferably completely perfume free, and paraben free.

If the shampoo doesn't contain a moisturizer, you might want to mix in some pure aloe vera gel or glycerin.

I stick with Gorgeous Guineas Posh'n'Go, as it's moisturizing & mild enough without any unnecessary additives.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.