Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What Products Do YOU Use/Like/Recommend?

skittyginny

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to piggies. (But not to small animals.) I'd really appreciate it if I could get some recommendations on products. I'm looking for suggestions on everything but specifically:

-Wheels
-Toys
-Hides/Snugglies/beds
-Hay Racks
-Water bottles
-Chews
-Anything else pigs like/need

And links to the sites you get the stuff from or if it's from PetSmart/Petco.

Please do not buy your guinea pig a wheel or one of those roll around balls for that matter. They are VERY dangerous to piggies!

Don't get a wheel for your pigs. Their spines aren't made to bend the way they have to in a wheel, so they're much more prone to back injury than a rat, hamster or mouse. If they have a large enough cage, they'll get plenty of exercise just running around in the cage, and if not, floor time helps too.

Plastic igloos ("pigloos") are pretty cheap and quite popular hiding places. You'll probably want one per pig, unless yours really get along well and prefer to share.

As for a water bottle, I prefer the plain twist-cap bottle with the metal ball. Some people use a "leak-proof" design that has a spring to keep the ball valve closed, but I've read that some pigs have trouble using it. And the top-filling bottles supposedly leak.

Chews...your pigs theoretically shouldn't need any, as an unlimited supply of grass hay will keep their teeth worn down. But some plain wooden chew toys wouldn't hurt; my pigs like to chew on fruit wood twigs; they're about as natural as it gets.

Vinegar isn't an accessory but it is a must have for anyone who has guinea pigs. I use a cup in my fleece laundry and I spray my cages out with a 50/50 vinegar and water mixture and wipe them down to keep them clean. I buy bottle brushes that have a brush that fits in the bottle and a tiny one that fits in the spout.

@skittyginny - If you search in the past forum posts you will find a lot of info, there was an entire thread dedicated to links of where to buy products :)

@pinky - do you use the cup of vinegar in the wash/prewash cycle with detergent or add it to where the fabric softener would go for the rinse cycle? There isn't enough room in my fabric softener area for a cup and I'm wondering if just adding it to the wash is still effective :) Thanks!

I agree. Wheels are a BIG no-no. :eek: Please stay away from wheels and balls.

As far as toys/accessories? I can suggest making your piggy a fleece forest. Mine love theirs, and enjoy using it as a hiding place as well.

Check this thread out for PLENTY of ideas and homemade products. People on here can be so very creative and helpful!

---> (broken link removed)

No wheels, good to know.

I mean products that are commercially produced and sewed items that other people make & sell online. I haven't done any shopping yet so I'm looking for suggestions. :)

Yeah, I returned a top-fill water bottle. Where the metal ball was supposed to be there was this metal pin and it looked uncomfortable for my rats. The top-fill design is such a lovely idea, if only they'd fix the flaws..

I was looking at PetSmart's website and I saw they now have a Furminator for small animals:
(broken link removed)
I use the standard one on my cat and it works really well:
(broken link removed)

Is that a good idea for pigs? If you've never heard of it, it de-sheads fur, making it lighter for summer months. (And just to say, if you have a cat this is an amazing product.)

@skittyginny - If you search in the past forum posts you will find a lot of info, there was an entire thread dedicated to links of where to buy products :)

@pinky - do you use the cup of vinegar in the wash/prewash cycle with detergent or add it to where the fabric softener would go for the rinse cycle? There isn't enough room in my fabric softener area for a cup and I'm wondering if just adding it to the wash is still effective :) Thanks!

I add it in with the detergent in the wash cycle and the fleece comes out smelling fresh and clean.

I don't know about piggies, but I got a sample small animal Furminator to review and gave it to a friend who has bunnies. She loved it, and it was comfortable for her rabbit and took off a lot of hair. I think it would be better for a longer haired piggy. I have one for cats, too, and it's amazing.

I don't know about piggies, but I got a sample small animal Furminator to review and gave it to a friend who has bunnies. She loved it, and it was comfortable for her rabbit and took off a lot of hair. I think it would be better for a longer haired piggy. I have one for cats, too, and it's amazing.

i perfer to use a small soft dog brush on Mr. Whistles. If I really want alot of shedding hair i just give him a bath xD
but the furminator does work GREAT on my cat. It has completely stopped her hair balls.

Tunnels are really good toys. There are lots of shops on Etsy that carry them as well as others elsewhere. Piggies are naturally explorative and since they can run through it, it doesn't really take up that much floor space.

You mentioned hay racks. I don't use one anymore. I just have loose hay in one corner of their cage. They tend to like to climb on it and burrow in it while they eat. Some people here have some pretty creative ideas for hay racks. Some people bend a grid and attach it to the side of the cage for hay.

Hideys can be almost anything. With my pigs that share a cage, I don't use pigloos anymore because there is only one entrance/exit. I have found that my pigs LOVE a stepstool for a hidey. They love to hide under them and they have four exits.

In the past I have used empty fridge packs for a hidey/tunnel - obviously with both ends opened. You can also make a fleece forest or tent for a hidey.

As for toys in general, avoid any toys they sell in the store. You can find plenty of things around the house that can be used as toys. I like to use toilet paper tubes (with all glue cleaned off, of course) for my pigs. They love to chew on them and toss them around. Also, if you crumple pieces of paper into a ball, they can pick them up and play with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.