Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada What kind of pellet should I feed my young guinea pigs?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=21108]Delaine[/MENTION], do you have a list of the ingredeints for the Sunseed pellets that you're talking about? I tried looking it up but there are a few different kinds from what I can see.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
[MENTION=21108]Delaine[/MENTION], I used the search bar to try to look up Sunseed pellets. I've seen a few posts where Ly&Pigs said that Sunseed pellets are equal to Kaytee and a few other store bought brands. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer about Sunseed pellets.

I just wanted to add a link from Guinea Lynx about finding quality pellets and what to avoid: http://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

Delaine

Cavy Slave
ellisa:

Thanks you very much for the info. I have read most of guinea lynx info. and keep their veggie chart on my fridge. The problem with the ingredient list on pellets is they don't have to list an ingredient if it is under a certain % of the total food. For example Oxbow has now only listed Lignin Sulfonate (a by-product of the pulp and paper industry) on their new packaging and it is quite high up on the list. It was always in their pellets according to Oxbow. It is what binds there pellets together along with Sodium Bentonite. It is very difficult to get the straight facts. My girls, so far, have done well on Sun Seed pellets. They are a good weight, very active and have extremely shiny coats, so I am a bit hesitant to change something that is working. Sun seed doesn't list Lignin Sulfonate, but it apparently is in there food too, but in small amounts. According to the fellow I talked to high heat compresses the pellets. It is all quite confusing. The Sunseed pellets I buy are the same price as Oxbow Performance, so definately not the cheapest brand on the market, if price is an indicator of quality. Sunseed also has pro-biotics in their food to help with gut flora. It is so nice to be on a Canadian forum so I compare food with other Canadians and people from the States.