Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems What is this?

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Hi, I just checked the underside of my little guinea pig and found this above the pelvis section.
Does anyone know what is, and how I can remove it?
Thanks.

Attachments

IMG_0799[1].jpg
are you taking about the dot? or the hairlessness? my pig also has sth like this on his bald spot...

I'm talking about the dot. It looks a bit like dried blood.

Is it a bump? Those may be one of his nipples. He should have one on the other side at about the same spot. This is what I'm talking about:

[GuineaPigCages.com] What is this?

Nonono. It's not one of her nipples. The dot's positioned in the middle of the two nipples but higher.

It does look like dried blood. Is the pig scratching or biting her/himself?
Could be the start of mites or bite wound. Is the pig sharing the cage with another pig? If so, are they fighting?

https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Yes she is with another piggie in the cage. The other pig chases her away and nips at her occasionally.

Then it could be a bite mark. Just keep an eye on them for now. The mark that small doesn't warrant them to be separated, unless one of them is not getting enough to eat and losing weight.

Okay, thank you. So you don't think it's mites?

If she's not scratching, it shouldn't be mites. If she has not been treated, you can treat her. The treatment won't hurt her. You'll need to treat both of them though, if she has mites, your other one would have caught it.

Okay, because the other one seems to be scratching a lot recently, and does not like being picked up at all. Would you know how much it would be to treat them?

Would you know how the treatment would work if it was given orally, since the mites are on the skin

You'll need to treat three times, each a week apart. You'll know it's working when the pig stops itching.

How old is the pig in the picture, by the way? Young pigs still have a mark where their umbilical cord was.

She's around a month old. I think that's what it was because I checked today and it seems to have disappeared.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.