Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What is the very minimum about of things you need to get started with Guinea Pigs?

Muddy405

Cavy Slave
I am new to guinea pins and i was wondering what the bare minimum of things i needed was?

Muddy405

Cavy Slave
Oops! i ment Guinea Pigs

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Re: What is the very minimum about of things you need to get started with Guinea Pigs?

Probably Medical info, Diet, Daily Care, Monthly care, grooming, bedding. So basically, you should know ALOT. Never trust what breeders and pet stores say.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Re: What is the very minimum about of things you need to get started with Guinea Pigs?

A cage: preferably 2x4 c&c for 2

At least 1 of:
house or hiding place
water bottle(2 is useful incase 1 doesn't work)
food dish

Food:
hay: alfalfa for young pigs and grass hay for adults
variety of veggies
good quality pellets: not hartz, kaytee is acceptable but I'd rather feed no pellets if that's all I could get, oxbow and kleenmamas pellets are best which you can order from oxbowhay.com or kmshayloft.com if oxbow pellets aren't sold in your area. Pellets are not necessary if you know what veggies to feed and have some good hay.

Toys are always appreciated
Room for floortime and maybe a playpen but you can make one out of grids

Muddy405

Cavy Slave
LuvMyPiggers said:
Probably Medical info, Diet, Daily Care, Monthly care, grooming, bedding. So basically, you should know ALOT. Never trust what breeders and pet stores say.

Ok Ummm what do u mean "by what breeders and pet stors say." What do they say.

aqh88

Cavy Slave

Most breeders and petstores will tell you alot of false info such as guinea pigs only need 2sq ft of cage space each or to feed them pellets with colored bits mixed in. That males can't be housed together... It's endless the amount of bad advice I've heard.

Muddy405

Cavy Slave

Is anyone still Here?

Muddy405

Cavy Slave

O, ok thanks!

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave

If you want to purchase guinea pigs, please look in shelters and rescues first. This site is a big advocate on shelters/rescues. A lot of pet stores and breeders don't take accurate care of their guinea pigs and have minimal knowledge about them. Read www.cavyspirit.com, it'll give you great advice on a lot of issues you may not even think mattered. It sure did for me.

Muddy405

Cavy Slave

ok, will do.

Muddy405

Cavy Slave

Okay, I am sorry.

Tucky4ever22

Cavy Slave
You need food, health history of the pig, a spacious cage, bedding, a treat (hehe, if you spoil your cavy,) a carrier, a vet, a water bottle, a brush, and a person who can give you tips !

Oh yeah you also need a Cavy!! Haha! Did you adopt it?

[Edited by Ly-we don't give that link here. Much of the information is incorrect and the information that is correct has been ripped off of other sites.]

Last edited by a moderator:

amfeider

Cavy Slave

Muddy where do you live?

Plummie

Cavy Slave

Don't forget to have a vet emergency fund saved up, in case of medical emergencies. I would have at least $200 to start with. I know it seems like a lot, but believe me, when these critters need vet care it isn't cheap.

aqh88

Cavy Slave

Guinea pig secrets isn't that good. I signed up for it just to see and got a few laughs from it. They make alot of the same mistakes as petstores. Plus none of that is a secret it all can be found here or on guinealynx.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.