Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior what is the benafit of having more than 2 pigs

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
whats the difference if you get 3 pigs, 4 pigs, 5 pigs, etc.?

Are you talking about the benefit to the pigs or to the humans?

Well, for humans, you get more pigs. That's good enough in itself. And for the pigs, they could have more company. Since guinea pigs are herd animals, they'd probably like having more friends. Of course, that's only if they're social pigs and you have enough space.

I can't say that it's necessarily more beneficial to the guinea pigs if you already have a compatible pair, but if you have more than two and one dies, you won't have a lonely guinea pig left alone. I'd say the biggest benefit is to the extra guinea pigs you adopt from a shelter or rescue to make room for more.

I agree with pinky. Thats the whole reason I have 7 guinea pigs. I felt bad having the room for more knowing they are sitting in a shelter. Also if something does happen to one of them they are way less likely to go into a depression over it. I wish I could take on more lol!

Not to be repetative here or any thing, but I agree. I do not have piggies, nor can I get them in the near future, but when we're ready, I want to get 3 just because bad things happen. And when they do, at least the piggy won't have to be working over the loss of its companion and trying to get used to another in the same breath! If something happens to one, the others still have each other for comfort, right? That's how I've come to 3 any way. Hope it helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.