Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay what is softer-3rd cut timothy or bluegrass?

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
Whats softer...the KMS 3rd cut timothy hay or the KMS bluegrass hay? I bought a mix of bluegrass and 2nd cut timothy not too long ago and was SO disappointed. The bluegrass was good, but I did expect better, but the 2nd cut timothy was terrible. It was so hard and dry and is being thrown out.

Have any of you bought either of these lately? How was the quality? I just don't want to get stuck throwing out hay again. (and money!)

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
I recently bought the 3rd cut and it is beautiful this year. The Bluegrass is very soft, but my pigs didn't care for it at all. I usually buy a mix of 2nd and 3rd.

Can the 3rd cut timothy hay be kept in the box that it comes in? I need to be able to store it in my closet. :)

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
The current third cut and bluegrass from KMS right now are pretty comparable. I currently have both - I just got the third cut last week and got the bluegrass in Sept, I think. Both are about the same level of softness, but I'd suggest the third cut over the blue based on my piggies' preferences. My piggies all give it a big paws up.

If you have the box top open to allow it to breathe a bit it can stay in the same box. I always keep mine in the box, plastic bag open, and have never had issues.

Last edited:

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
Thanks cavy_jdas!

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the thread, useful for me.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
With my hay from KMS I usually remove the plastic bag but leave it in the box.