Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance what is going on?

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i have 4 males in one room however they are in 2 different cages..

they are doing the rubble strut a lot and chattering their teeth and my two new pigs went to have a fight this morning, my other two pigs are doing the same.

could this be because there are other males in the room?

should i move them to a different room? if not how can i stop them fighting?

thanks

It could be because there are other males in the room. It could be because they're in piggy adolescence and are ruled by their hormones. It could be because their cages are too small.

Watch them, and if someone is being bitten or harassed to the point that he can't eat, you'll need to separate them.

My piggies do that all the time, and they are two females, and their sisters, and they would NEVER even attemp to hurt each other!!!
They just do their thing rumbbling around, popcorning, playing with each other, but aparently you'r piggies aren't doing this in a playful way, and actually attempting to hurt each other and fight, not good. Yes, it could be because there are other males in the room, maybe, maybe not, but I would try, as you said, putting the males in a different room for a while, and see if they calm down. PM me or or post on the open forum and tell me what's hapening. So glad it cought my eye,
Luna:)!

How big are their cages and what are their ages? That info would help us get a better idea as to why they are fighting.

they are in pet store cages right now until i move house, they are about L140 X W71 X h51cm in size, they are all around the age of one.

Yep... it is probably a mixture of hormone going wild and cage size. If you can get them into slightly larger cages, it should help them get along more smoothly, but they are moody boars right now and are probably going to spend months rumbling. As long as there isn't any blood and everyone has free access to food and water, just sit back and watch their little boarly antics.

In the meantime, open hideys (step stools and draped fleece) would be good choices for their cages.

thanks, my house is going up for sale soon so i hope to move and they can have huge cages then :) what if they hump each other? should i leave them? or make a loud noise?

For heaven's sake, don't make loud noises at them! Humping is perfectly normal. Just let them be.

was just an idea.....but when one humps they go for each other am i just meant to leave them to it?

What kind of pet store cages are those? They are pretty good sized pet store cages, at least compared to what I have seen on this side of the pond. Your cages aren't tiny by any means... they are just a bit small for moody boys. Let them rumble and chase and everything else... they'll be just fine.

No blood, no foul.

If they hump, you can shake your head in derision, but let them be.

but when one humps they go for each other am i just meant to leave them to it?

Yes, unless one of them is being bitten or harassed to the point that he or she can't eat. Why do you want to stop it? Do you have males and females housed together?

no i have 7 males and one female and she is in a different room from the males and will never meet them. i want to stop it as i think its a bit mean

What kind of pet store cages are those? They are pretty good sized pet store cages, at least compared to what I have seen on this side of the pond. Your cages aren't tiny by any means... they are just a bit small for moody boys. Let them rumble and chase and everything else... they'll be just fine.

No blood, no foul.

If they hump, you can shake your head in derision, but let them be.

71 cm is only about 28 inches. That's way too small for two males.

best i can do till i move.

71 cm is only about 28 inches. That's way too small for two males.

The dimensions of the cage she is describing is ~55" x 28"... that is almost 10.7 square feet. You really feel that is way too small? I have seen plenty of pairs of boars do just fine in a 4x2, which this is slightly larger than. I, at least, wouldn't consider a 4x2 "way" smaller than a 5x2...

The dimensions of the cage she is describing is ~55" x 28"... that is almost 10.7 square feet. You really feel that is way too small? I have seen plenty of pairs of boars do just fine in a 4x2, which this is slightly larger than. I, at least, wouldn't consider a 4x2 "way" smaller than a 5x2...

My bad.... I missed the 1 in front of the 140.... I thought she was saying 40 x 71. 140 is good. That's what I get when I don't wear my reading glasses. Thanks for the correction.

No problem. To be honest, I looked back at the numbers about 10 times, especially after seeing the picture of the cage. When I see cages with tops they delude me into thinking they're teeny tiny.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.