Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) What is better?

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Right now I have two pigs in two separate 2X3 cages with a 2X1 kitchen. Squint, who I have had since January 2011, is alone, and I want to get him a friend. However, will two males in a sectioned 2X4 work? What about one male, and 1 spayed female? *This cage can not be expanded- it is plywood. I don't want to get an other pig, and have problems, but I don't want to keep Squint alone. What is the best thing to do for Squint?
Here is a picture of the cage for reference:
[GuineaPigCages.com] What is better?

I think a spayed sow is a better option, beings that pair doesn't seem to need as much space as 2 boars.

However, I would only do this if you can find a sow(s) already spayed. If not, I would neuter Squint. I'm not sure how it would work with two boars in there, since they are usually in need of a full 2x4, and they could fight being in that little space (the part that is sectioned off), but I would recommend either getting an already spayed sow, or neutering Squint and putting a sow in with him.

Hope this helps, and an experienced boar owner will come behind me with a better answer. :)

Is there a rescue you can take him to choose his own buddy? Some sows are vicious. Getting a sow doesn't guarantee that they will get along.

I would have to get a previously spayed sow, because I couldn't get Squint neutered- it would kill me all day wondering if he would be okay-I'm sure he would be but I just couldn't do it.
So would a male/female pair be okay in the space that I have, or would a male/male be okay too?

Assuming your other pig is female, I'd rather get Squint a spayed female companion. Multiple boars tend to be more aggressive with each other in the presence of females, and if they can smell your female pig in her separate cage, they might be more inclined to fight.

That said, you don't want to leave your other pig alone either. If she's female, why not consider having her spayed or Squint neutered and let them live together?

Assuming your other pig is female, I'd rather get Squint a spayed female companion. Multiple boars tend to be more aggressive with each other in the presence of females, and if they can smell your female pig in her separate cage, they might be more inclined to fight.

That said, you don't want to leave your other pig alone either. If she's female, why not consider having her spayed or Squint neutered and let them live together?

She has two boars who don't get along, one is mean but she wants to find the nice one a companion, hence the questions.

I'm pretty sure you're better off trying to find a spayed sow because the space would probably cause fights in two boars. As pointed out you should try taking Squint to a rescue or shelter and see if he gets along with the female before deciding to adopt her and having issues... Make sense? Hope this helps!

Well, I am ABSOLUTELY in love with a piggie from MGPR, but live too far away. From their website they seem pretty strict with their allowed car travel time. Has anyone adopted from them?

They have some really cute guinea pigs. =D

Well, I am ABSOLUTELY in love with a piggie from MGPR, but live too far away. From their website they seem pretty strict with their allowed car travel time. Has anyone adopted from them?

How far away are you? I haven't adopted from them but if you contact them and explain your situation they might be able to work with you.

They only adopt to people within 2 hours of them. I am over quadruple that lol :)

lol maybe you could contact them and see if they will make an exception. Maybe ask them why you must be so close? I think with your situation they will understand.

Aww! I just checked out their adoptable pigs and they are sooo cute!!! If I lived closer, I would so be pignapping Tiger :p

We've adopted 2 piggies from them and LOVE working with them. The first match attempt, for our intact sow Jumble, fell apart after a day. We ended up keeping Triton (neutered boar) and adopting another sow (spayed) from MGPR to be his friend. We are looking for a friend for our other boar, Picckalo, through them, too.

Also wanted to second what @lissie said about some sows -- Jumble does not seem to be aware that she is a pig, and is brutally violent with any other pigs (male, female, intact or altered -- ask the poor souls who put up with her through the meets ...). I suspect Jumble is an extreme case, even for an Abyssinian diva, but going to the meets helped us to avoid bringing home the 6 other boars we attempted to match her with. She fell out of like with Triton later that day, nearly killing herself in the process. MGPR helped us throughout the night (I mean, after midnight!) to stabilize the situation and offered to take Triton back. We loved him too much by then, and MGPR helped us get him his girlfriend Oink pretty quickly so he wouldn't get lonely. They walked us through all of the follow-up issues with Jumble. And now, with Picckalo being a special needs pig, they are working with us to ensure as low-stress as possible of a meet, and are incredibly patient.

Jumble we got after she was thrown out and Picckalo came from a pound, so you can get great piggies wherever, but the support of a really good rescue cannot be overstated. MGPR rocks.

@Wildcavy- how far away from MGPR are you? I know they have strict distance requirements, but maybe they could find a way to get a piggie to me?

Oooh! Piggie train! lol

@Wildcavy - how far away from MGPR are you? I know they have strict distance requirements, but maybe they could find a way to get a piggie to me?

It's going to sound odd, but I'm not exactly sure how they calculate it! We live in the DC Metro area, so you know how weird the geography is. We are around 1.5 to 1.75 hours from the place where we have gone to the adoption meets is in Maryland, though we live in Virginia. But we're only 20 minutes from DC itself. I think they rotate the meets between MD, VA, and DC depending on volunteer availability.

Best thing would be to e-mail them and ask -- it may make a difference if you are nearby one of their principal volunteers or foster families, what sort of transporation you have, etc. They absolutely, positively must be able to meet you in person (and your pig). The pigs choose each other at the meet, but I'm certain that they also want to see how prospective piggy parents interact with the pigs, too, including whether you have the right equipment -- for example, if you don't have a proper piggy carrier, they won't let one of their pigs go home with you. They directed me to this site, actually, to make sure that we had the right cages/pens for our pigs. And they have a piggy guru there inspect your pig before you can bring him/her into the meet, to ensure that the pig isn't sick, that the nails are trimmed, etc.

They are a good resource more generally, too, and even if they can't match you with one of their pigs, they may be able to get you in touch with someone closer to you.

Aww! I just checked out their adoptable pigs and they are sooo cute!!! If I lived closer, I would so be pignapping Tiger :p

Isn't Tiger adorable? They have the cutest skinny pigs, too.

So, I guess my question that remains is, is this space (2X4) enough for two males? Or would it only work for a male and female?

Depends entirely on the pigs.

the only thing i would add is my own experience with rescuing pigs and introducing them to each other. even with a well planned meet and greet, once home, there's NEVER a guarentee that the new group of pigs will get along. since they're not a pair of pants you can return if they don't match your sweater, you really need to be prepared for a Plan B if they don't get along. that said, i've played musical pigs with a total of 4 pigs, trying to find the happiest combination. right now i have three together, and one alone. all males, different ages. the one living alone is right next to the others so he can smell and hear them, and i give him extra lap time. despite what's true for most pigs, he seems very content when he's alone, whenever i've tried to get him a companion, it's been full-out war. he may just be the exception to the rule, where he's happier alone, but with extra attention, and other pigs nearby. good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.