Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs What is an average cost for a vet visit??

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I have had my little piggies since Thursday, February 10th (Patch and Columbus). When I purchased Patch I notice he had a dark patch of fur under his right eye. I discovered last night that it was a scab.
This morning I work up and immediately checked him. He was his usual lively self- eating his timothy hay with gusto and excited to get his carrots - but his poor little face was bleeding cause he had scratched off the scab.

I took off from work and took him to a Vet. He gave me a cream that has a little steroid in it that will help with the itching and an oral antibiotic.
I was so relieved!
Then I got the bill - $94! $65 for the visit. $29 for meds! This is a walk in clinic for all things non surgical so it is not like I had to pay extra for an emergency visit.
For others in the US, is this typical for a vet visit or should I do some shopping around for a new cavy savvy vet?

I am super hopeful that Patch will be all better in a few days.

Thanks a bunch,
Kim, Patch, and Columbus
BTW - Patch is the one in the white :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirene

Cavy Slave
I've just got back from the vet's and my bill was $70 - $42 for the visit and $28 for a blood sugar test (skin prick). I'd say your visit fee was on the high side in my experience, but it's always $40-$50 here. I've never gotten out of there for less than $50.

PinkPanther

Cavy Slave
I have the bills from the last week right in front of me.
My gp has/had a mass on her throat
Exam itself was $46
All the medication, testing, compounding etc. was about $130 so I walked out with a $176 bill.

Her surgery on Monday, including a one night stay and meds, did cost around $230 on top of it.

I just have my gps for less than 10 days and they are actually still under warrenty from the pet-shop (that sounds horrible to put warrenties on living creatures, don't you think ?). This is not how I imagined gp motherhood, but what needs to be done, needs to be done ...

I once had a rat, that cost us around $3000 during her lifetime of only 2 1/2 years and I don't even get into the cost of our 13 year old english bulldog.
We are not rich, we feel these amounts in our daily life, but I can't see them suffer... However I became quiet creative on some self-medicating our pets SOMETIMES, depending on the problem.

cetd27

Cavy Slave
I have called around and a visit is between $68-80 for this area.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I think $50 is about average around here for an exam. What was the name of the antibiotic and cream?

Vet costs depend on your location and whether the vet is an exotics vet. It doesn't hurt to call around, though. You may be willing to drive just a bit farther for a vet who charges less.

PinkPanther

Cavy Slave
I had a ferret that needed adrenal surgery and I called around in our area (Dallas/FortWorth). I got estimates from $180 including "normal" aftercare to $650 without aftercare for the surgery. If you search the net about vet-cost about any pet the perception seems to be, that you pay more in the north east and less in the south, but I think that within one area the costs can be very different depending on the vet and not the location.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My vet charges $50 for an exam and roughly $100 for most procedures.

These are the prices for his clinic:
Appointments & Consultations & Pricing

They see almost exclusively exotics, and these prices are actually pretty competitive compared to others in my area.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I think $50 is about average around here for an exam. What was the name of the antibiotic and cream?

Vet costs depend on your location and whether the vet is an exotics vet. It doesn't hurt to call around, though. You may be willing to drive just a bit farther for a vet who charges less.
The cream is EnteDerm and the antibiotic is SMZ-TMP syrup.
I was told to use both twice a day.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
In my area (I live in Canada) the vet I go to charges $20 for an exam, and then it's just the meds on top of that, which don't seem to be too expensive either.

My last visit that included meds came out to about $64. They didn't charge for the trimming of the teeth or anything that they did either, just the visit plus meds.

They aren't exclusively an exotics vet, though.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
You guys are SO lucky! I never seem to be able to leave the vet without my bill being under $200. An exam is $68, a follow up in $58. An xray is $220 and a urinalysis is $160, checking for blood in urine is $70. A month of baytril is $93 and a month of Bactrim is $25. So lets see, in February I picked up our prescription for Baytril ($93), then halfway through the month we had our vet app ($68) where we checked for blood in the urine ($70), found some, and did a urinalysis ($160) and a nail trimming ($20) and a few days later when we got the results I got a month of Bactrim ($25). So we've spent $436 this month alone.. Welcome to my life!

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I'd also like to add that we once went to see a different, supposedly savvy vet, because his xrays were "only" $150. I was so angry when I left that app. He basically told me I was "starving" a 2.9lb pig (who had gained half a pound since I got him) because I won't feed him pellts, his exact words were, "he cannot live on veggies and hay alone". That he was "probably" malnourished and skinny. I promptly made an app with my regular vet, who just laughed and said, "You are the only guinea pig owner we see that does a raw food diet, everyone else does not believe me or care that just feeding pellets is not the way to go". And then he asked me if I thought Doodles was skinny. All I know when I do "chin rubs" I'm rubbing a soft, squishy inch of fat under the skin of his chest.

My hubby commended me that day for not telling the first vet off, I was fuming! It wasn't just the comments, but also the way he handled my baby. Doodles is VERY scared of heights, ten times as much as our other pig. They carried him like he was a wet cat, hands around his body, legs dangling (supporting his feet when I carry him, helps him feel calm) and I nearly grabbed him from them, his poor little eyes looked like they were going to pop out with fear.

Sorry for the rant, but what I'm saying is if you find a vet you like (I LOVE ours, even though he is pricey) stay there. A cheaper vet isn't always a great thing. And building a health history with just once vet is better in the long run.

And most importantly, start a little piggy fund. We budget $200 for vet care very month and if we don't use it it goes into savings for any future disasters. We were VERY broke when we got pigs (not planned pets) and Doodles was sick and we had to say no to tests, borrow money from family etc and it was awful. Now that I'm employed again we make sure to plan for future vet bills. There is nothing worse than driving to the emergency vet ($95 a visit btw) at midnight, trying to figure out how the heck we're going to pay it, believe me, I've been there.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
My vet charges $50 for an exam and roughly $100 for most procedures.

These are the prices for his clinic:
Appointments & Consultations & Pricing

They see almost exclusively exotics, and these prices are actually pretty competitive compared to others in my area.

Paula, your vet charges $41.50 for a complete urinalysis! I would give anything. I just paid $160 for ours last week. I understand that you don't want people to know your location (Pig Nation) but I'm betting it's not California? :) I've looked everywhere, even though my vet seems pricey to me the other vets I've looked into are not much cheaper.. Must be a location thing.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Wow. Yes, vet costs do vary I guess. I live in Wisconsin, and our vet bill, just to be seen/examined was 45.00...and Buttercups ear infection medicine was not too much, I don't think, I can't remember off the top of my head but I am guessing around 20.00 max. Xrays are around 100.00 though....but I haven't been a cavy owner very long., only 2 1/2 months. But their overall care to my great surprise is VERY expensive. More expensive than a dog or a cat even !

As I was going through this in the beginning stages, I felt completely overwhelmed by how expensive these sweet little creatures are, and the amount of care involved is much more than I could have ever thought it would be. Since I haven't ( fingers crossed, knock on wood) had to go for anything too serious yet..I haven't experienced the mounting vet costs that some people have mentioned on here having. The illnesses and deaths that I have read about on here certainly give me cause for pause: What would I do if faced with bill after bill from this they have or that needs fixing..and I honestly don't know what I would do.

We have one car ( my car from way before I married) a 93 toyota corolla and used crappy furniture from the salvation army, so we live paycheck to paycheck pretty much. Whatever we put in savings we keep in savings for those unexpected big financial ball breakers that life sometimes throws at you, but even that now has gone way down from giving a huge amount to my mom to help her out and my son who is living on his own for the first time, and we help him out here and there a little bit.

I hope that most of you know what I mean. Life is hard and the people we love come before our beloved animals. It is just an awful fact of life...you know ? Life is all about choices, and as you get older, you realize that some of those choices that have to be made are HARD ones, ones that really stink and really HURT. Please don't sandblast me for saying that. Please.

If my darling girls get sick over and over again with mounting vet bills that we find we can't afford...I am sorry but I would have to adopt them out to someone who could afford them. If it's say, between paying the rent, an illness in the family, or a broken down car ect. I would be devastated, but I would have no choice but to accept the reality of the situation and re-home my babies. And many tears on my pillow ( not to be corny) would follow long after they have been re-homed. Hope I haven't lost any friends on here for saying that !

PinkPanther

Cavy Slave
In my area (I live in Canada) the vet I go to charges $20 for an exam, and then it's just the meds on top of that, which don't seem to be too expensive either.

My last visit that included meds came out to about $64. They didn't charge for the trimming of the teeth or anything that they did either, just the visit plus meds.

They aren't exclusively an exotics vet, though.

The prices in Canada (and much of Europe) are regulated. A vet is only allowed to make "so and so" much profit of meds etc. I was born and raised in Germany (now live in US) and my average vet bills were a fraction of what I am paying in the US. I remember, that my mom's Russian tortoise had a broken leg and a pulmonary infection (came early out of hibernation and fell off the balcony) and including everything (exam, tests, x-rays and meds given at the vet) we walked out with a 40 Euro bill (about US $50). US vets are no capped. If this is a good thing or bad thing in the big picture I don't know, but I wish I wouldn't pay sometimes fees for things like compounding (about $20), some of these "extra little" charges are ridiculous.

Stef41

Cavy Slave
This was an interesting thread to read through!

My Cavy-vet was kind enough to give me a discount for my girl's annual check-ups this year because I had 5 of them. So instead of $45 each she charged me $35 each.

I can't complain, though....especially after seeing what some of you poor souls are forced to pay! Yikes!

The things we do for our precious piggies! :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
The prices in Canada (and much of Europe) are regulated. A vet is only allowed to make "so and so" much profit of meds etc. I was born and raised in Germany (now live in US) and my average vet bills were a fraction of what I am paying in the US. I remember, that my mom's Russian tortoise had a broken leg and a pulmonary infection (came early out of hibernation and fell off the balcony) and including everything (exam, tests, x-rays and meds given at the vet) we walked out with a 40 Euro bill (about US $50). US vets are no capped. If this is a good thing or bad thing in the big picture I don't know, but I wish I wouldn't pay sometimes fees for things like compounding (about $20), some of these "extra little" charges are ridiculous.
Yeah, they sure stick to us here in the U.S. with vet bills for sure !

Hey, you were raised in Germany ? Cool ! Right before and after my husband and I got married, he needed to be in Bonn., Germany to finish up his thesis and I lived there with him for about a month or so ! It was an awesome experience ! Did you live anywhere near Bonn ?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
In my area, for a vet that takes guinea pigs (which doesn't equal cavy savvy in this case) It is about $30-$50 for the visit. It is $65 if you go to a walk in.

I drive an hour for a better vet and I want to say it is just under $50 for the visit and more for whatever else on top of that for additional work (as always).

I have taken my piggies to two different vets and I have been quoted from three additional places.

The emergency vet here is something like $90 for a visit alone.

I would say your bill seemed on the high, but not unreasonable side. The bigger question is if it is a good vet. I would (and do) pay more than I could "get away with" because I know I am getting a better service where I go.

One vet was $30 for everything, but it wasn't worth the $30 because everything he told me was outdated and a little off. Yeah, he treated guinea pigs but that didn't mean he did a good job in comparison.

PinkPanther

Cavy Slave
As I was going through this in the beginning stages, I felt completely overwhelmed by how expensive these sweet little creatures are, and the amount of care involved is much more than I could have ever thought it would be.

I just have my gps for about 10 days and already had one surgery and a URI infection. I am abit overwelmed as well. I have done so much research before I got them and yet, all of the sudden, I feel very ill prepared for all of it. However our vet says this may be a one time thing, so I keep my fingers crossed. We had once a ferret, that required surgery in her first month and then never got sick again until she got very old and had to be put to sleep, because of various "old ferret"-problems.

PinkPanther

Cavy Slave
Yeah, they sure stick to us here in the U.S. with vet bills for sure !

Hey, you were raised in Germany ? Cool ! Right before and after my husband and I got married, he needed to be in Bonn., Germany to finish up his thesis and I lived there with him for about a month or so ! It was an awesome experience ! Did you live anywhere near Bonn ?

I am glad you liked it. Like every country Germany has it's pros & cons. I have never been to Bonn. I grew up in Berlin and later worked in Baveria near Munich and Freiburg "im Breisgau" near the Swiss border.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Paula, your vet charges $41.50 for a complete urinalysis! I would give anything. I just paid $160 for ours last week. I understand that you don't want people to know your location (Pig Nation) but I'm betting it's not California? :) I've looked everywhere, even though my vet seems pricey to me the other vets I've looked into are not much cheaper.. Must be a location thing.

I can't answer for Paula but it seems as though in my area there is a direct correlation of price to location. The more in-city the vet is, the more pricey they are in many cases. However, a lot of the cheaper, more out there offices aren't as up to date and don't offer as wide a variety of services. You also trade off in some ways as well though because I have heard some horror stories from some of the really busy offices who have many people running under them because it gets harder to check up on employees.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.