Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands What is a good height for a C&C cage

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I have a 2 X 4 cage and wanted to get it off the floor so put it up on some extra grids I had. I am finding it is a really bad height for my back. I try to sit on the floor to clean, etc. but find I am bending over a lot and starting to get back problems. I just finished making a table 24" high to put the cage on but won't use it until the weather gets hotter and I move the girls downstairs to rec room (it gets too hot in the TV room). I am hoping it will be a better height. What height are your cages?

re: What is a good height for a C&C cage

How do I change gage to cage? It wouldn't let me edit it.

re: What is a good height for a C&C cage

My tables are 27 inches high. It's perfect for me. Be aware of you posture when you're cleaning their cage, too.

Fixed the title for you. I like having my cage on 2 grids high. It's much better for my back. Now that I have a stacked cage, I don't like cleaning the lower cage. I have to kneel down to clean it.

I prefer my cages on the floor but added a second cage over one of mine. Bottom cage is one grid high, I added another row of grids on sections of it to hold up the top cage. I'm 5' 3" and it's hard to me to reach all around my upper 2 x 5.

Mine is multiple level (can see in my albums) but the lower one is one grid level high off the poor plus wheels underneath. I sit on a chair when working on the lower level.

lissie and MissJean: Your cages are about the same height. Can you easily reach to the back of them? Mine will be 3" to 4" lower, but I could raise it 3" by putting castors on the 4" x 4" legs. When my cage was on the floor my knees where getting so rough from constantly kneeling.

Thanks lissie for fixing my title.

Thanks everyone for answering my question. I can learn so much from your experience.

lissie and MissJean: Your cages are about the same height. Can you easily reach to the back of them? Mine will be 3" to 4" lower, but I could raise it 3" by putting castors on the 4" x 4" legs.

I think yours will be fine. I'm 5'4" and I can reach the back of the cage. I cheated a little though. I cut the grids in fron to 9" instead of 14".

You can see how short the front grids are in this pic.
[GuineaPigCages.com] What is a good height for a C&C cage

I'm 5'6" and can reach everything in their cage just fine. :p

This is a nice thread! I have the same problem with the spot-cleaning sometimes because my cage is just a single grid off the floor.

Height shouldn't be a problem, I think. Just as long as they're in no danger of falling off.

I picked up an old dinette table, and have my cage on that. I like them up higher so i can see them easier. The only problem with cleaning the cage is that it's 3ft wide, and I have to walk all the way around it to clean-I can't reach the far side. Besides, i keep my house on the cooler side in the winter, and I think the floor is too cold and drafty.

I think yours will be fine. I'm 5'4" and I can reach the back of the cage. I cheated a little though. I cut the grids in fron to 9" instead of 14".

You can see how short the front grids are in

Thanks for the picture. I am afraid to cut the front grids and have started making sure the top is closed on my cage. Abbey got so excited the other day when I came to get them for supper/floor time she tried to jump into the transfer box before I even got to put the box in the cage and flung herself at the grid and fell backwards. It gave me quite a scare. She was fine and I now make sure I take her out first before her sister so she doesn't get frantic and try and jump out. All goes well until some unexpected thing happens and you get a wake up call.

I picked up an old dinette table, and have my cage on that. I like them up higher so i can see them easier. The only problem with cleaning the cage is that it's 3ft wide, and I have to walk all the way around it to clean-I can't reach the far side. Besides, i keep my house on the cooler side in the winter, and I think the floor is too cold and drafty.

I put my cage off the floor for the same reason. Their room gets cool in the winter and although I put a heater in there I wanted the heat to circulate underneath the cage. That is one reason I made the table. I think next winter I will put them in the entrance hall attached to the kitchen. We have infloor heating in the kitchen/entrance hall area and so that area stays warmer and I won't have to spend a fortune on electricity heating the TV room or turning on the furnace for one room. If I put wheels or castors on the legs I could move the cage into the kitchen when we go out or at night when we turn furnace down at night. That way they would be at a good temperature. I haven't done this so far because I didn't know if they would be happy where there was more activity and kitchen noise. I am hoping they will get used to it.

I won't have to spend a fortune on electricity heating the TV room or turning on the furnace for one room

Yeah, I keep my house pretty cool in the winter, and I never thought when I got the bunny and the pig that they would need to be warmer. So winter rolled around, and I had to keep the heat turned up so they wouldn't get cold. One thing I do is wrap the cages in old towels or blankets, and I just leave the front open so they can see out. That way they don't get a draft when I open the door to let the dog in and out, and it helps hold in the heat, like insulation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.