Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What height sides are safe???

• Thread starter M.and.F.Piggies
  • Start date

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave
Given that I have just had a piggie jump over 6 inch coraplast sides without much effort (but with disastrous consequences), and I have just discovered that the same troublemaker can put her head through the squares of my c&c grid, I was thinking of either lining halfway up the grids or changing completely to clear perspex. My question is if I'm building sides what height is going to keep my piggie (who may have been Evil Kenevel in a past life) safe??????

Grids are generally about 14inches long and wide. I haven't heard of a piggy getting over a height that tall.

A poster over at Guinea Lynx had a determined male climb three grids to get to the females housed above him. And many pigs can get out of a one-grid high cage. Most won't, but if you want to be sure, put a lid on it.

Yes, put a lid on the cage. I would also put coroplast all the way to the top, so she doesn't climb up over the coroplast, then get her head stuck in a grid again. (Say you put coro 10 inches up the 14 inch grid. She climbs up the 10 inches, then gets her head caught in the remaining 4 inches left open.) Take the coroplast down when you are present to watch them, and so that they can see the comings and goings. Safety is the main concern; maybe when she feels better, and calms down, she'll stop climbing. I've had to do things to maintain safety of an animal (I do rescue work) even when it made the animal "unhappy", so to speak. It really reminds me of raising children. Sometimes what is best for them is not what they want.

Most people put the coroplast inside the cage, so they can't climb the grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.