Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming What happens if I don't clean their grease gland?

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
If I'm going to use virgin coconut oil, do I have to rinse it with soap? What's better, kitty shampoo or baby shampoo? :D

For general bathing them, kitten shampoo is better than baby shampoo. I use Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo on mine.

The coconut oil is to loosen the gunk around the grease gland. Put a little on and rub it in, then wait for a few minutes. Shampoo it out using the kitten shampoo.

You ask what happens if you don't clean it. On some pigs, it gets really gunky and the hair will come out around it. On other pigs, it's not so bad, and nothing really needs to be done except a butt bath now and again. Males are worse than females about needing it cleaned.

great! thanks! :)

What the heck is a grease gland?? i am very new to guinea pigs, excuse my ignorance :)

It's the stuff they use to scent mark. You can find it above their butt, where their tail is suppose to be. The grease looks like a black spot. Usually active with males, but females can also have active grease glands :)

Cheers for the info :)

You can see the grease gland easily on Charlie because his fur is lighter in color.

What happens if I don't clean their grease gland?

Attachments

001.jpg
It depends on the male too. I noticed that it is worse on Ben than it is on Eddy Pig.

Hi, I know this isn't really in the same category, but it's related so I thought I'd give it a shot. I know that you normally only neuter boars if you want to keep them with a female, but I heard somewhere that it also reduces the chance that boars will get impaction to almost nothing. Is this true?

Yes, it's essentially true. Neutered boars tend to have far fewer impaction problems than unneutered ones.

cavy moma , your piggies are cute. Love your bedding!

I have never seen my girl's grease gland!

Thanks for the great info!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.