Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay What happends to a small guineapig without Alfalfa Hay?

CodeGPS

Cavy Slave
ok so i have been to a petstore and i dont see them feeding any hay to them
so my question is would anything bad happen if a small guineapig or baby
doesn't receive any Alfalfa Hay? would it affect their process of growing?

OH that is a good question.. but I don't know.

Many lower-quality pellets (including most of the ones I find at pet stores) are alfalfa-based, so there's a chance that whatever they're feeding them has alfalfa in it, even if it's not pure hay. That said, as far as I know the main advantage of alfalfa is that it's a good calcium source for younger pigs, and can even have too much for older ones, so there are probably other sources of calcium.

That said, I have no idea about the conditions in your particular store, as the ones I've seen around here all have fresh hay.

I know in other animals, such as the notorious "micro pig" ( as in a real swine, not GP) the sellers often slow their growth by depriving them of food needed to grow. There's actually no such thing as a micro pig, just smaller pig breeds. It's a deceptive fad. These malnurished pigs have all sorts of health problems.

Some people don't feed their guinea pigs alfalfa, even if they're below 6 months of age. They do make up for it in calcium rich veggies and stuff.

Please complain to management. Somthing short and to the point. If no one speaks up, nothing will change. If you tell them every time you go, maybe they'll throw some in there just to keep you quiet. Mission accomplished. They can't speak for themselves, so someone has to do it.

Pigs don't need alfalfa hay. They need long strand grass hay -- alfalfa is a legume, like peas.

People feed alfalfa, and alfalfa pellets, because they're higher in calcium than timothy is. But you can obtain the same effect by feeding kale, or parsley, or any other high calcium vegetable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.