Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids What grids are best?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I have been using the Whitmore grids without complications for a while, ever since Luna and Stella were only 2 months old (now 7 months) but last night during introductions our new baby (3.5 months) nova got her head stuck in one of the grid holes! We got her out safe and sound, though that grid is destroyed. Anyways the grid holes are barely over an inch either way, 10 holes on each side of the 14 inch grid, but are there any grids with even smaller holes (like half inch?) or should I use shelving/acrylic? Thanks in advance
Whitmor 6071-1723 Four Storage Cubes, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LRGV3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_y-EWwbCXQJJVN
image.jpg

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I don't know of any smaller ones, but I'm sure they exist somewhere. Could you try making the coroplast walls higher? That's what I did, and I never had any issues when my girls were babies, and Pansy loves to stick her head anywhere she can.. She stuck her head through the grids I was using as a floor time pen the other day, she's almost five months old! She's on the small side though. But she's never tried getting her head through the cage grids. Mainly because my walls are more than 8in tall. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Even with the standard grids, you have to baby proof until the little ones are large enough not to get their heads caught. You can stick cardboard or coroplast up the sides of the cage.

My cage is closet shelving, not grids, but my pigs (all adults) would all be able to get to grids -- I only make the coroplast walls about five inches high, and then there are 2-3 inches of pellets in there.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I think you miscounted. The standard grid has 9 x 9 squares. Every once in a while I search the Web for 14" grids with smaller squares and I never seem to find a current source. The way that most people deal with it is to overlap the grids to create smaller openings until the baby is larger and then it's easy to just clip the zip ties and return it to normal.

Just curious.......how did she get her head caught? There is nowhere in my cage that the piggies come in direct contact with a grid.

you're right, 9x9. I was actually doing introductions on the floor, introducing her to my other three, and I had grids blocking off the area from the bedroom and the kitchen. The grids were just zip tied together on the floor to keep them in that 5'x7' area, but around the 6th hour (of an easy, nonviolent intro) Luna spooked nova and nova just went full force into the grid.

I used midwest panels for half my current cage and have a 4" Coro, she got her head in the bottom-most hole so hopefully the Coro barrier will be enough to stop it from happening again

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Even with the standard grids, you have to baby proof until the little ones are large enough not to get their heads caught. You can stick cardboard or coroplast up the sides of the cage.

Thats what I did, I thought she was too big to get through but she is all fluff. :/ had I realized I would have used storage box lids taped together instead, which I did after. But this did happen during intros, with just the grids between the doorways. They won't be in that area again, intros are over, I just wanna make sure it doesn't happen in the cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.