Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing What Gender?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Hi! In the near future after I set up my 2 x 9 C&C cage, I will be looking to adopt two guinea pigs to share a 2 x 4 together. I was wondering what gender pair would work best is this size of cage. I,myself, are fine with any gender and just want my future piggies to be happy and healthy together. :) Thank You!

It really depends on the personality of the pigs, and how well bonded they are. I would personally not put two boys in anything smaller than a 2x5, two well bonded adult sows would be preferable where you know what to expect. Also ask how much drama there is (if any) when the girls go into heat.

I have a 2x5 for my girls, and it's definitely too small. This because of a very hormonal female where hell breaks loose every two weeks. I then have to give my whole floor space over to them to allow the other pig to breathe. I did not sign up for that. :expressio

Boars do better with a 3xsomething than a 2xanything -- gives them more room to get past each other without sparking a squabble. Females do better with that also, but it's not as much of an issue as it is with the boars. Usually. Not always.

I definitely wouldn't put two boars in a 2x4, unless they were well bonded and long past adolescence and I knew they could live in a cage that size.

Thank you all... :). Since my space is limited, and I cannot go bigger than a 2 x 4 with a loft or so for the time being, I will start searching for more female piggies than males. I have room for 3 grods wide in some places, and being the piggies cage is on the end, away from my bed, I can easily make atleast 2 out of the four grids long a 3 x 4. I really wanted to adopt, but the last guinea pig rescue here in Minnesota closed down, as I spoke with the owner. Is CraigsList a good alternative instead? Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.