Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet What food should I buy

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am currently feeding a food that was purchased in a guinea pig starter kit. I am running low and wondering what is a good food and price? [GuineaPigCages.com] What food should I buy when I get a new food how do I switch it over?

When you introduce any animal to a new food it's best to do it slowly. Start with a mix of 75% old food, 25% new food. I start out even less with an 80/20 ratio. Normally I do this over the period of a month, sometimes a bit more slowly increasing the ratio of new to old food. For example 75/25 to 50/50 to 25/75, etc. Oxbow sells an excellent range of guinea pig pellets. I wouldn't recommend any brand that sells seeds or corn in the mix though.

When switching from a low quality pellet to a proper one, there is no reason to do so slowly. They will pick out the pieces, and the faster you get rid of the junk the better.

Most pellets on the market are crap unfortunately. The best pellets out there are from Kleenmamas hayloft, you order it online. Another good brand is Oxbow, Sweet Meadow, lastly a version of Mazuri.

You want a high quality plain, grass hay pellet. No colored bits, nuts or seeds.

When I found out the colored and seed bits weren't healthy I went out and bought regular pellets and started feeding them to my pig right away. She had no problem with the transition, but some other guinea pigs may be pickier.

My pigs wouldn't eat anything that wasn't transitioned. They were older and set in their ways I guess. The old owner was feeding one of them this multi-colored "daily diet" (which I'd never seen before). I tried feeding him what the other piggies were eating, and he'd have nothing to do with it. So I started transitioning him and then he just got used to the better stuff. Mine are even picky like that with new veggies, I have to practically shred the veggies them to get them to try anything new.

Last edited:
okay I going to find some quality food thanks alot

When switching from a low quality pellet to a proper one, there is no reason to do so slowly. They will pick out the pieces, and the faster you get rid of the junk the better.

Most pellets on the market are crap unfortunately. The best pellets out there are from Kleenmamas hayloft, you order it online. Another good brand is Oxbow, Sweet Meadow, lastly a version of Mazuri.

You want a high quality plain, grass hay pellet. No colored bits, nuts or seeds.

what kind do you order from there?

It depends on the age of your pigs. If they're under six months, alfalfa pellets for sure. If they're over a year, timothy pellets for sure. If they're in between, it can go either way, as if you've got mixed ages, say 7 and 10 months. Doesn't matter.

okay went to that website *alafa pellets and but what is the difference in the second and third cut timothy hay

boofp, I went to KMS web site and read about it, they give an excellent explanation on the difference in the cuts of hay. (broken link removed) hope it helps!

thank you for all your help

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.