Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What food label and grade of sand paper do I need?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
A local mom and pop's type store carries oxbow, which I'm pretty excited about. I was looking at their pellets, and there were three kinds: organic, performance, and quisuine. Now, I'm not sure what kind to buy? Could someone please help me with that? Right now I have a sow, who is about 3mo if that makes a difference in the type of food... (Also, don't worry! I am looking to adopt a friend for her, just havnt found one yet. Didn't want answers focued on telling me she needs a friend, when I already know.:))

They also sell oxbow timmothy hay, is that a quality hay product?

Last but not least, what grade of sand paper is okay for my piglet's feet? I bought a piece of carpet to put on the ramp, but it comes short about 4/5in. I was thinking of just using a piece of sand paper at the end, but don't know what level of thickness will not hurt them.

GPonnett

Cavy Slave
I have never used sand paper, but I read on this forum that 40 grit is best for ramps.

About the pellets...Oxbow recommends Performance for pregnant sows and young guinea pigs. But from what I learned on here, if you are providing the right types of veggies for Vitamin C, then you only need Cavy Cuisine. I actually had a large quantity of both and when I heard that I mixed them.

About Oxbow Hay - I just recently switched to Oxbow from local hay. And Wow!! What a difference. I bought a large amount, so it was fresh and green. I have heard that sometimes Oxbow that has been packaged and sitting on a shelf is not as green and fresh. I guess - if it looks green it would be good. Most people on here say Kleenmama's is the best. I ordered this but did not receive for my own comparison.

I am still learning everyday from this forum, but I have had similar questions to yours. I am sure other members can be more specific. Good luck!

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
Your young piggy will need Cavy Performance until she is 6months old.
Yes, Oxbow hay is good quality. However, I believe a pig as young as yours needs alfalfa hay.
You should buy the finest grain of sandpaper at the store.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
My pellets are Oxbow cavy cuisine and I also have Oxbox Orchard Grass and Western Timothy Hay. The hay is amazing, green, soft and smells great. The pigs have never ate so much hay before. The pellets are also really nice. I think Oxbow will be a great choice for your pig and soon to be pigs!

As for sand paper, I don't know that answer either. Perhaps just buy anything piece of carpet to make up for the part that is without, just cut what is needed.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
My current pig is on alfalfa already because I knew that. I just needed to know if oxbow's hay was also recommended as a good product as well as the pellets for future reference. I was excited to see that the had some oxbow products since our local petco does not. The oxbow hay on the shelf looked pretty green, so that's the first place I'll go when I need to start getting that kind. I thought about ordering kleensmama, but didn't want to order online.

I did think about buying another piece of carpet, but was kind of trying to avoid that. I will have to go to the local hardware store to see what I can find.

I just can't wait to have everything finally put together! Oh, and to find another piggy for my Mocha!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The main source of hay should be grass hay as alfalfa is only a supplemental hay. As far as pellets, get Cavy Cuisine since you are feeding alfalfa hay.

I wouldn't use sandpaper at all in a pigs cage. Maybe put a piece of cardboard at the bottom section with a washcloth over it. Carpet for the ramp will probably also get really dirty and smelly quickly.

I've tried all kinds of things in the past and I've found carpet anywhere in a pigs cage doesn't do too well for very long.

Also in the future, if you have multiple questions on different subjects, it would be better to post them separately in the respective forum sections for the questions. IE: Food questions in Diet and Nutrition and Ramp questions in Accessories. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.