Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What exactly is a skinny pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, this site is against buying from any breeders at all, skinnyguineaus.
I am NOT promoting the purchase of an animal! I am just giving you guys FACTS!! You cant just write your OPINION and call it a FACT! And to be honest with you... All of the animals you have at home were a product of a breeding. I rather educate the future owner of a skinny rather than to close my eyes to incorrect information. We ALL know that rescue is what is promoted here and the best choice (again its a CHOICE). I have been part of the site long enough to understand that. However, I will NOT just sit here and allow someone to distribute INCORRECT information about a breed that they have NO knowledge about it!
Like I said before and I repeat, if you choose to purchase a pig please do so in responsible manner so you are not promoting massive backyard breeding.
It is very hypocritical to me how we all strive for knowledge in the site and when a good piece of information is offered everyone just stick to one point... Breeding. Lets EDUCATE instead of dictate. You go further that way.

I think that a lot of the members are of the opinion that breeding is unnecessary with all of the accidental births there are. I know that I would prefer to adopt a pig that needs a home rather than a pig that was bred (intentionally or unintentionally) for certain looks or traits. As I said to my dad when he asked me why I wouldn't prefer a "new one", "the 'used' ones need homes too."

I know this may be a little bigoted and ego-centric of me, but in my eyes, ANY breeder ("responsible" or otherwise) is someone who decides to produce young for profit. What other reason could they have for breeding, other than profit? Enjoyment of the voyeurism involved in looking at baby piggy privates? The happy feeling you get from separating a mother from her male children, because those boys will turn around and impregnate her within a few weeks? The miracle of the mother and babies possibly dying from complications with the pregnancy? In my eyes, a breeder does not have pets, they have animals, that they will extort for a profit. What would you think if there was a person who repeatedly went out, got pregnant, then sold each child? We would think it is wrong, because it is a human, and who in their right mind would sell a human being, but how is that any different from breeding animals? Impregnating in order to sell the offspring, in my eyes, is breeding, and no matter what creature is the one being bred, it is wrong (unless it's an endangered species that is incapable of achieving a population that would ensure the survival of the species, at which point it should be assessed for the probable success of captive breeding, impact on natural order and niche arrangement, etc [I'm a student at an environmental school, so the argument of captive breeding versus natural selection is one I'm very familiar with] but now this is a tangent...) BUT! As I (and many before me) have said, there are many GPs out there needing adoption, making species additions through breeding unnecessary.

These are just my opinions, but it is something I feel strongly about, and I believe many other members feel the same (from what I have seen in other threads about breeding). I wouldn't go so far as to say the site is AGAINST breeding (although I saw it mentioned once in a post that part of the readme for joining says something about being anti-breeding, but I can't find the readme so I can't quote or cite it. Maybe a mod would know better than I about the exact "anti-breeding" clause of the readme; @foggycreekcavy (or any other mod for that matter) if you have access to the forum registration agreement, can you post the way to get to it, or the document please?), but most members would prefer to see others rescue (any animal) instead of buying from a breeder.
Lets not compare humans with animals please!
Some questions for you to think about it before you compare:
Why get pregnant if you could just adopt a baby? There are SO many children out there who need a home!
Would it be ok to take a human child and place it in a cage (lets say a large C&C and give it veggies and fruit and protein and supplement its vitamin C, stimulate their brain with tous and possibly an Ipad)? Did you answer no? Why is it ok to put a guinea pig in one?

We are ALL hypocrites! If you own an animal you are already out of basis for these discussions. LETS EDUCATE PEOPLE so they can make their own decisions in an appropriate manner.

I'm closing this thread since we don't allow discussions of breeding, the thread has gone off track, and the original question has already been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.