Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What exactly is a skinny pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckielynn

Cavy Slave
I've seen them, they are naked. But what makes them that way? Is is a gentic "flaw" some one capitalized on? Years ago, no one had heard of them, so now I'm curious, when did skinny pigs become popular? Are they harder to keep warm? Do you have to moisturize their skin? Sorry for all the questions, I don't want one, I'm just curious.

just like hairless cats, guinea pigs can be bred hairless. :3 i don't know much more about them, but i do know a lot of skinny pig owners knit or purchase little sweaters and vests for them to wear if it's cold.

I believe they were originally bred for animal testing to allow a direct application, this also being the reason for their lower immune systems.
They are now still in breeding because of their originality, unfortunately at the cost of the animal as they have a lower life expectancy. There are many skinny pigs that still get hair on their backs and then are shaved to be sold, or killed because they aren't "pure". I would not adopt them out if I ran a shelter, and truly wish we wont have these pigs in the future.

wow, that's very interesting. i never knew they were bred for testing, that's so unfortunate.

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't wanna own one. They look so strange, but I'm not fond of any hairless animal, be it a cat or anything else.

I do think they are lovely, but their suffering isn't worth it. I feel the same about cats being bred with such flattened noses they can hardly breathe, and dogs with such unproportioned bodies they can't naturally breed or give birth without risking their lives.

A few breeders claim to have bred a more genetically healthy skinny pig, but I doubt it as the testing to verify & do this is unbelievably expensive & complicated.

I do love all smooshy faced animals. I had a persian, he didn't have any breathing problems and he was a rescue from death row at the pound. The extreeme persians' faces are so flat they can barely see or breathe, I think that's just mean to breed them that way. I also own a Boston Terrier, he too was a rescue. He's an awesome dog. His name is Chester, but my hubby calls him Baron Von Smooshy Face. :)

I doubt that a genetically heathy skinny pig has been bred either. I saw tons of ads on hoobly for skinny pigs, some breeders had 7 litters, how do they know what genetics those babies have? I doubt they shell out the cash needed for the testing.

I saw my first skinny pigs at my local Petsmart a few months ago. I have seen pictures of them on this wonderful site and they somewhat intrigue me. There was a pair of them there, 100 dollars each. I am all for adopting pigs and not buying them from pet stores. Howevers, for those few minutes I was very tempted to buy them. Walking out of the store I felt a strange feeling of regret and for the next few weeks I kept on thinking about them. I went back a few weeks later to see if they were still there. However, there was only one there. The worker saw me looking at them and mentioned that one of them was recently sold. If there might of been two of them there still I might of bought them!

do they get along with furry piggies, i wonder?

I think they can. Once I was browsing on CraigsList and there was a pair, a bonded skinny and a shorthair pig. I'm not sure, though.

I would love to try that someday!

I believe they were originally bred for animal testing to allow a direct application, this also being the reason for their lower immune systems.
They are now still in breeding because of their originality, unfortunately at the cost of the animal as they have a lower life expectancy. There are many skinny pigs that still get hair on their backs and then are shaved to be sold, or killed because they aren't "pure". I would not adopt them out if I ran a shelter, and truly wish we wont have these pigs in the future.

I am sorry but your statement is absolutely incorrect!! Here are some FACTS for you
[h=2]The modern Hairless Skinny pig breed originated with a cross between haired guinea pigs and a hairless lab strain. The Hairless Guinea Pig strain that it is most likely related to them was a spontaneous genetic mutation first identified at Montreal's Institute Armand Frappier in 1978. Later, scientists in research labs created the Skinny Pig by using mutated genes of those specific Guinea Pigs. These genetic mutations were born with no hair. Their bare skin was then in turn used for dermatological experiments. Eventually, these researchers allowed the Skinny Pigs to be bred outside the lab. Breeders have since bred them with traditional guinea pigs in order to strengthen their immune systems. Today's varieties, when properly bred, are as healthy as other varieties. There are plenty of data to prove these facts![/h]

I have to admit that I am one of those people who used to look at pics of skinny pigs and remark how ugly they are. However, all that changed when I finally met one. He was the most feisty fellow in the cage and even though he was the smallest, it was obvious that the was the alpha pig. And, holding him was like holding a little furnace. :crazy:

I'm sure that someone will correct me, but my understanding is that their metabolism is high, partially to account for lack of fur, and that as a consequence, their digestive systems move at Warp 9 speed. That was the deal breaker for me. I can't imagine spot cleaning a cage even more often than I do now. And, I was concerned about the need to have a warmer room for them.

Come on, all you hairless and Baldwin folks........educate me........please!

You are CORRECT when talking about their fast digestive system! I have both Skinnies and furries and to tell you the truth I see no difference when it comes to cleaning the cages! The only thing I do notice is that my skinnies are more interested in interacting with than my furry friends. They do that because they crave human touch because it is WARM! They are captivating little creatures :)

do they get along with furry piggies, i wonder?
They LOVE furry friends because they are warm to cuddle with! Just like I love my fleece they love their furry buddies :)

I saw my first skinny pigs at my local Petsmart a few months ago. I have seen pictures of them on this wonderful site and they somewhat intrigue me. There was a pair of them there, 100 dollars each. I am all for adopting pigs and not buying them from pet stores. Howevers, for those few minutes I was very tempted to buy them. Walking out of the store I felt a strange feeling of regret and for the next few weeks I kept on thinking about them. I went back a few weeks later to see if they were still there. However, there was only one there. The worker saw me looking at them and mentioned that one of them was recently sold. If there might of been two of them there still I might of bought them!

Petsmart does not get their Skinnies from a reputable breeder who understands the needs of the breed. If you want them do your research first. There are only 4 people in the country that I would consider... Do your research and you'll be able to tell! Never purchase from a breeder who does not specialize on Skinnies!

I do love all smooshy faced animals. I had a persian, he didn't have any breathing problems and he was a rescue from death row at the pound. The extreeme persians' faces are so flat they can barely see or breathe, I think that's just mean to breed them that way. I also own a Boston Terrier, he too was a rescue. He's an awesome dog. His name is Chester, but my hubby calls him Baron Von Smooshy Face. :)
All my pigs have 6+ generation pedigrees! There is a way to bred for health and quality despite of others say.

I doubt that a genetically heathy skinny pig has been bred either. I saw tons of ads on hoobly for skinny pigs, some breeders had 7 litters, how do they know what genetics those babies have? I doubt they shell out the cash needed for the testing.

I do think they are lovely, but their suffering isn't worth it. I feel the same about cats being bred with such flattened noses they can hardly breathe, and dogs with such unproportioned bodies they can't naturally breed or give birth without risking their lives.

A few breeders claim to have bred a more genetically healthy skinny pig, but I doubt it as the testing to verify & do this is unbelievably expensive & complicated.

Actually a cautious breeder will have a health data bank with information on all of their pigs and litters. Including weekly weight since birth to present, any health issues (reason, treatment, prognosis), If they can't produce that to you you shouldn't be talking to them!

I have 6 boars that are skinny pigs.
They need the room to be kept at a warm temperature, around 74 degrees.
You don't need to lotion their skin but sometimes in the winter they can get a touch dry so I use something from Gorgeous Guineas.
You need to maintain good nail care, since they can scratch themselves easily.
They can be housed with Furry pigs, you just need to be super careful if any fighting/bickering is happening.
I wouldn't purchase a skinny pig, adopt one.
I've gotten my last 3 from people who no longer wanted to care for them.

I think that a lot of the members are of the opinion that breeding is unnecessary with all of the accidental births there are. I know that I would prefer to adopt a pig that needs a home rather than a pig that was bred (intentionally or unintentionally) for certain looks or traits. As I said to my dad when he asked me why I wouldn't prefer a "new one", "the 'used' ones need homes too."

I know this may be a little bigoted and ego-centric of me, but in my eyes, ANY breeder ("responsible" or otherwise) is someone who decides to produce young for profit. What other reason could they have for breeding, other than profit? Enjoyment of the voyeurism involved in looking at baby piggy privates? The happy feeling you get from separating a mother from her male children, because those boys will turn around and impregnate her within a few weeks? The miracle of the mother and babies possibly dying from complications with the pregnancy? In my eyes, a breeder does not have pets, they have animals, that they will extort for a profit. What would you think if there was a person who repeatedly went out, got pregnant, then sold each child? We would think it is wrong, because it is a human, and who in their right mind would sell a human being, but how is that any different from breeding animals? Impregnating in order to sell the offspring, in my eyes, is breeding, and no matter what creature is the one being bred, it is wrong (unless it's an endangered species that is incapable of achieving a population that would ensure the survival of the species, at which point it should be assessed for the probable success of captive breeding, impact on natural order and niche arrangement, etc [I'm a student at an environmental school, so the argument of captive breeding versus natural selection is one I'm very familiar with] but now this is a tangent...) BUT! As I (and many before me) have said, there are many GPs out there needing adoption, making species additions through breeding unnecessary.

These are just my opinions, but it is something I feel strongly about, and I believe many other members feel the same (from what I have seen in other threads about breeding). I wouldn't go so far as to say the site is AGAINST breeding (although I saw it mentioned once in a post that part of the readme for joining says something about being anti-breeding, but I can't find the readme so I can't quote or cite it. Maybe a mod would know better than I about the exact "anti-breeding" clause of the readme; @foggycreekcavy (or any other mod for that matter) if you have access to the forum registration agreement, can you post the way to get to it, or the document please?), but most members would prefer to see others rescue (any animal) instead of buying from a breeder.

In any case, I apologize for kinda turning this thread from something requesting information about skinnies into a rant about breeding, but I felt very strongly about my thoughts on breeding, and how it's not really a subject I take lightly... And I felt that maybe sharing that opinion in a way I've never seen argued before (by relating piggy breeding to human breeding) would be the thing that maybe breaks someone from their wrong (me being ego-centric again :p) ideas about breeding. It probably wont, but it was worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.