Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting What does this mean?

Marley

Cavy Slave
Please help me! My newest guinea pig has been rumblestrutting alot lately! I have had my 2 girls in the same cage for about 2 weeks and they have been fine, why is she starting now to rumblestrut? My guinea pigs have gotten along GREAT before. but now my newest guinea pig changed. Can anyone help me and tell me what it means and what I should do? Is it a bad sign? :eye-poppi

Rumblestrutting is totally normal, it's just them showing who is top dog. It may take a while for them to finally figure out who will be the boss, so there is nothing to worry about. :D You don't have to do anything, just watch them, and make sure that the rumbling doesn't turn into anything worse. If you see blood, that is when you will need to separate them.

If there's no teeth chattering, you're fine. If there is teeth chattering, pay close attention to them. Teeth chattering is kind of like a dog growling. Rumblestrutting is just a guinea pig being silly and saying "I'm the boss!".

okay and I just saw her trying to mount my older guinea pig, so this is all normal? She does not try to bite her she just kind of chases her around the cage SOMETIMES. And she sometimes pushes my older pig out of her hidey spot. Thanks again! Just want to make sure this is all normal!

Mounting is normal. The older one may tell her it's not okay by teeth chattering/rumble strutting. There may be a bit of an argument over it if the older guinea pig really doesn't like it.

It all sounds normal. One is just establishing dominance. As long as you don't see any serious fighting or blood they should be fine. Keep an eye on their rumps for bites. That's where most guinea pigs will go after each other if they're fighting.

Some more information is needed--

How big is the cage? How old is the new pig? Are you sure the new pig is a female?

I have two females and one was "rumblestrutting" (I didn't know it had a name) and trying to mount the other. I naturally panicked and checked to make sure she was a female! Thanks for enlightening me as to the name of that behavior.

My cage is a 2x3 and thats as big as I can make it, Trust me if I had more space I would make a 2x4 but there is no more space, and I have a 1x2 loft, And yes the vet checked her out and she is a female, and they are both around 1 years old, another question, what if they both rublestrut, or one rublestruts and the other just struts?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.