Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What does this mean...?

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Two of my boars have been doing this certain thing with their noses, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what they doing. They put their noses together then quickly lift their head in the air away from the other's face. One especially will follow the other around then kind of sniff the other's mouth or touch his nose (although I can't hear any sniffing). He'll then whip his nose up in the air and to the side. There is also a little talking at that point. The other one doesn't seem to want his nose in his face. They don't fight or rumble-strut, just this weird thing. I was just wondering what they were communicating to each other thrrough this process.

My 2 girls do the same thing. Its to see who is the boss. The one that stops doing that is the loser, the weaker one. The other one is the more dominant one. I have had them for 9 months now and they still do it from time to time.

Pennick's right. It's the least aggressive check to see who's higher ranking. Sydney and Gobi started with fights, lots of teeth chattering and rumblestrutting but have significantly calmed down after two weeks. It's only the "nose up" now, and they usually settle it quickly.

I know of it but have acctually never seen it.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense about what they are doing. So Frank is always going up to Buster's face, then throwing his nose in the air, then running away. He must be checking to see if Buster is still in charge of the cage, which he is, at least when their is food around. :) I'm just so happy to have them do that instead of fighting like Scooby did with everyone else!

What you're describing is dominance. They're sorting out who's the boss.
On a side note, piggies will nose-touch or sniff noses as a greeting, or acknowledgement.

Many times when Penny (my dominant one) runs over to Nickel and starts with the nose in the air, I'm watching and cheering as if this was a welter weight fight "Come on Nickel get that nose higher, you can do it, come on, keep going, only to be disapointed once again. I wish Nickel would just once put Penny in her place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.